Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-t219645.html)

ArlaJo 04-21-2013 09:18 AM

Applique

I just did my first appliqued block. I did it with a satin stitch and got puckers. :( It looks awful.
How can I prevent this? I have a Sunflower Sue in the wings so I need to figure this out.
Thanks.

Scissor Queen 04-21-2013 09:47 AM

If you're going to do satin stitch you have to use a stabilizer. There are dozens of choices of stabilizers.

retrogirl02 04-21-2013 09:47 AM

there are several ways to avoid this. are you using fusible?

retrogirl02 04-21-2013 09:49 AM

must have posted when scissor queen did it. there are tons of sites with applique tutorials. I even have a couple on youtube. it's easier to watch a video over and over again to get the hang of it than try to explain in text.

Boston1954 04-21-2013 09:49 AM

If it is machine applique, you can put some freezer paper, or even ordinary 8 1/2 x 11 typing paper in back of the fabric. Then when you rip it away the stitches stay nice because of the bit of paper that is still there.

Tartan 04-21-2013 09:51 AM

A tear away or similar stabilizer under the background fabric of your appliqué block helps to prevent puckers and tunneling. You can also open up your satin stitch a bit so it isn't as dense. Of course it also doesn't looks as full that way. I often use a buttonhole or other decorative stitch along fusible appliqué pieces for avoiding puckers.

Prism99 04-21-2013 11:04 AM

I heavily starch the backing fabric. This stabilizes enough so there are no puckers. My method is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution onto yardage using a large wall painting brush, wait a couple of minutes to make sure starch has penetrated the fibers, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. When cutting my background pieces, I cut them an inch bigger just in case there is take-up during the applique process, then cut them to size after sewing; however, this really hasn't been necessary with the heavy starching.

For me, it's easier to starch than to use stabilizer.

quilterCDN 04-21-2013 11:23 AM

Check the tension in your satin stitch. That could be a reason for the puckering.

toolazy 04-21-2013 11:24 AM

Piece of paper, most any kind, is a help, as noted above. If it still wants to pucker with what you're using (paper, interfacing, starch), open up the stitch a little and go over it twice.

ckcowl 04-21-2013 11:48 AM

something other than a satin stitch may be a better choice---if you like satin stitched appliques then a stablizer is a must- but a small zigzag or blanket stitch may be a nicer choice (easier too)
take some scraps and try out a few different stitches to see what you like/works better- any heavy-tight stitch will need stablizer though.
personally i really dislike satin stitched appliques even when they come out right- just not a fan of such a heavy edge- i usually do a stitch that doesn't really show-like a tiny zigzag or a blanket stitch.