Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique techniqes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-techniqes-t154522.html)

Buckeye Rose 09-20-2011 04:52 PM

I will be making a quilt with a few applique images, and of course have never done applique. I know there are different techniques so I need your skills to direct me to the easiest and fastest to learn. Are the difference in techniques necessary for different applications? or different fabrics? I just want to make the best decision....based on your info of course!

Quilter Lois 09-20-2011 04:55 PM

http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbys..._quilt.htm#s10

this link will help applique technique is a matter of choice just read the info and it will help you decide

Chicca 09-20-2011 04:57 PM

I really enjoy applique and have mainly stuck to using wonder under fusible. It is fast and easy; especially if you use the zig zag stitch. But raw edge is also very quick. I have also done one quilt with turn under starching method. It really took a lot of time, but was a wonderful experience and the end result was fantastic. Look at some tutorials and videos, read some blogs and see which type you want to try first. Have a great time.

dd 09-20-2011 06:00 PM

Hand or machine?

Buckeye Rose 09-20-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by dd
Hand or machine?

I don't know enough about either to say....LOL....that's why I am asking you!

COYOTEMAGIC 09-20-2011 06:21 PM

I machine applique. Basicly use a zigzag stitch to trace around the pieces you want to applique. You can use any decorative stitches your machine may have, I just got a new machine that has more than straight and zigzag but haven't done any applique lately.

Lots of folks use a fusible bond to attach the appliques than stitch around them. I use a plain ol' glue stick. I like it because I can pick the appliques up and move them around. Can't do that after you iron the fusible.

snowdenb 09-20-2011 06:38 PM

I like to use lightweight interfacing or muslin to applique. Take the applique piece and put it right side together with the interfacing and sew . I usually leave the interfacing in a shape bigger than the applique piece. After I sew them together. I trim and cut a slit in the back and turn to the right side and press. Your edges are turned under. I stitch them on my machine using the blanket stitch or zig zag. You can use a glue stick to put them down before you stitch to keep in place.
If you have tiny pieces to applique this would be a little tedious.

Google Eleanor Burns (quilt in a day) she has the same technique and you could see how it's done.

ckcowl 09-21-2011 03:54 AM

hand applique is usually needle turn applique- you use freezer paper templates to cut out your shapes- making them a little larger for a turn under allowance-and hand stitch them- there are tons of tutorials to teach you this technique- just search 'needle turn applique'
machine applique is often done using a fusable product- the pattern has to be reversed- drawn/traced onto the paper side of the fusable- fused to back of fabric- shapes cut out on the lines=then fused onto background. it is also called raw edge applique- because the edges are not turned under. after fusing you machine stitch the pieces-this can be done with a small zig-zag- a straight stitch- or a machine blanket stitch.
fusables are not generally used for hand applique because it is very difficult to hand stitch through the fusable product.
there are also many tutorials to show you this technique-
search for 'fusable applique', machine applique, or raw edge applique

Buckeye Rose 09-21-2011 04:57 AM

thanks everyone! I think I will do a practice of all methods and see what works best for me, but like the idea of sewing them down by machine....a bit more secure for a "utility" quilt. I know there are probably a million different websites, but when I need the best advice, I come here!