Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique threads...silk vs cotton!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-threads-silk-vs-cotton-t21605.html)

Skeat 06-20-2009 07:23 PM

Okay...here's where I have brain fog and the brakes on!! I sat thru a talk on restoring antique quilts and they recomm. that you use silk thread on those old repairs...but, to NOT use silk thread for our appliques today for the thread is not a durable, strong thread and our appliq. would not last as long. I have no idea....do you??Was this just this gal's opinion?? It does make 'sense' to me if you think about it...but, I really don't know...any opinions and/or experience and/or education on this is greatly appreciated!! Skeat

kluedesigns 06-20-2009 07:28 PM

i think it depends on the weight of the silk you use. you can much much thinner silk thread than you can cotton.

silk is a very strong and durable fiber you just need to make sure you buy heavier weight than you normally would in cotton.

i use silk often in my work and haven't had a problem but my quilts aren't 50 years old.

BellaBoo 06-20-2009 08:17 PM

YLI makes the best silk thread. I don't know of many award winning quilters recommending anything but silk for hand appliqué. The stitches seem to disappear using the silk thread.

Lacelady 06-21-2009 07:46 AM

Guterman makes silk thread, but I don't know where you would get it, sorry.

crashnquilt 06-21-2009 07:57 AM

I use YLI Silk Thread for all of my applique work. I like it because the stitches literally disappear in the fabric. I've been using it for several years now and have not had any of my applique come apart. And my quilts do get used and washed.

I got the YLI at a local quilt shop but you can find it online at Red Rock Threads. In fact I think they have two or three brands for silk thread.

kluedesigns 06-21-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Where do you buy silk thread?

i only use YLI silk and i buy it online most of the time from Red Rock Thread.

YLI has the most beautiful silk selection solid, variegated, and sparkle.

Lacelady 06-21-2009 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I buy Gutermans all the time at our local Hancocks, but I haven't seen the silk thread. (Maybe I need to look more carefully?) LOL!

Perhaps it isn't imported into the USA?

quilt addict 06-21-2009 03:51 PM

I took a applique class a few months ago with Cathy Van Bruggen. She recommended a polyester thread as an alternative to silk because it is cheaper. I do not remember the brand. But it is much finer than any cotton that I have seen and it does disappear in the applique. She sells a sampler of threads on bobbins in a varity of colors.

Her website is www.cathyvb.com

Skeat 06-22-2009 06:19 AM

Thanks for the input from all so far! Always great input here:)Skeat

Joan 06-22-2009 06:25 AM

I just took (or attempted to take a class on applique--the teacher's
car threw a rod and she never arrived so it was rescheduled) and
was applique thread was on the supply list. My LQS sold me some
DMC thread (pricey--yes!) and said that silk was the best but that
the DMC thread would be easier to handle for a beginner.

P.S.--I enjoyed reading all the comments, all these tips and information
are just invaluable!