Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique vs. Embroidery Scissors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-vs-embroidery-scissors-t10978.html)

mamatobugboo 09-07-2008 10:07 AM

I am cutting out really small shapes for an applique project for the INternational Round Robin - my small scissors aren't quite "cutting" it ( :lol: :wink: :lol: ) - so could someone, anyone out there help me out with the difference between applique and embroidery scissors??

Are they the same thing and interchangable? What scissors do you use for detailed cutting??

Thanks!

Butterflyspain 09-07-2008 10:52 AM

Hi there, I use very small but very sharp scissors. Just regular ones that I keep for my applique work. Have you put the small shapes on to your fusible material or just cutting the material. It helps with small pieces to use some steam a seam 2 ,draw your shape on to that and then iron on to the back of your material and then cut. See if that helps.

Elle

Moonpi 09-07-2008 11:01 AM

I use a small, curved blade titanium scissors that are very sharp. If I am sewing interfacing on, then turning, I use a pair of bandage scissors that will not puncture my front side. I have seen some using baby nail scissors, but have never tried them myself.

mamatobugboo 09-07-2008 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Hi there, I use very small but very sharp scissors. Just regular ones that I keep for my applique work. Have you put the small shapes on to your fusible material or just cutting the material. It helps with small pieces to use some steam a seam 2 ,draw your shape on to that and then iron on to the back of your material and then cut. See if that helps.

Elle

thanks Elle - I use steam a seam in reverse! I cut out my fabric first (at least on this quilt), then stick (but not steam) to the s-a-s2, then place on the quilt and steam it on! A bit backyards, but I work better from the fabric first! I have found it easier to cut the shapes out again with the s.a.s2 on it.... :-)

mamatobugboo 09-07-2008 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I use a small, curved blade titanium scissors that are very sharp. If I am sewing interfacing on, then turning, I use a pair of bandage scissors that will not puncture my front side. I have seen some using baby nail scissors, but have never tried them myself.

Thanks moonpi!! I've seen that curved scissors and hopefully will get a pair with my "jo-jos" 40% off coupon!

jstitch 09-07-2008 01:46 PM

My favorite scissors for applique are the blunt point ginghers.

They are about 3 inches long and look like the old elementary school scissors with a blunt point,

the difference is that they are very sharp, all the way to the end of the blade.

Cost about $20

I got mine at JoAnns when they were 1/2 price

Butterflyspain 09-07-2008 02:32 PM

Okay Steph, whatever works for you. Then it must be your scissors, Looks like your in the market for new ones.

Elle

sewnsewer2 09-07-2008 06:43 PM

I do a lot of machine embroidery appliques and I use a curved really sharp small scissor.

retrogirl02 09-08-2008 04:31 AM

ooooh I'm so glad you asked this one. I've been playing around with applique pieces and I'm finding that mine are too small, too big, or just plain impossible to use....I asked at our LQS where the owner is really into all types of needle arts. She suggested I use an in between size of my favorite brand, ginghers. Possibly a 6/7 inch pair.

The ones I'm using are too small and the embroidery scissors I have also seemed small when trying to cut the larger portions of my patterns. I have not ordered them yet (not carried in the store) because my sheers are just an inch or two longer and they're too big. I feel like I don't have any control with them. When I send my sheers in for sharpening, I think I'll check the gingher site to see what they suggest. Hope this helps.

vicki reno 09-09-2008 04:00 AM

I have the super sharp pointed sicssors for embroidery and use them to cut small shapes. I also have a pr of the "fat lipped" applique scissors and use them on the bigger pieces. I also have the gingher shears , too, but they are usually too big for cutting out most applique shapes.