Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Appreciate your advice--PLEASE!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/appreciate-your-advice-please-t205606.html)

sustraley 11-10-2012 07:08 AM

Appreciate your advice--PLEASE!!!

1 Attachment(s)
I did the craftsy BOM. I added two of my own blocks because I did not want to do the paper piecing. There were some problems with the instructions. Anyway, I can't decide what to use for the sashing and borders. As yo can see, it is black and white with just a little red. I would like to use red, black and white for sashing, borders and binding. I would love to hear your ideas. I keep changing my mind. Also, how would you quilt this? Thanks so much.

carslo 11-10-2012 07:13 AM

I truly believe that individual block look best with a dark sashing kinda like when a mat on artwork. I might try black sashing and then a red border 2 inches, black border 3 inches and red border 4 inches and then a black binding. I have used this arrangement on quilts and like the results. There is lots of white already so I won't opt for that. Nicely done!

sustraley 11-10-2012 07:19 AM

That sounds great carslo. Thanks so much.

Tartan 11-10-2012 07:38 AM

Great looking blocks! How about black sashing with red cornerstones? Then maybe a white border and then the black or red again depending on how big a bed you are making it for.

Luv Quilts and Cats 11-10-2012 07:43 AM

I like the idea of black sashing with red cornerstones. I think that would be just enough red to go with the blocks. For a border I would do a thin red border then a black border.

DogHouseMom 11-10-2012 07:46 AM

Black sashing with 9 patch red and black cornerstones. Narrow red border (or flange) then a black border.

sustraley 11-10-2012 11:31 AM

Thanks everyone.

jcrow 11-10-2012 03:43 PM

I'm doing Craftsy BOM and am ready to do the sashing and borders, also. I used the same fabric that Amy did, so I'm using the white sashing and white borders. I love my quilt. I had never done paper piecing before and really didn't understand how to do it until my mentor from this board sent me a DVD by Carol Doaks on paper piecing. Then it was so simple. Now I love paper piecing. I heard she has a YouTube video on paper piecing. It's not hard to do if someone that really knows how to do it teaches you how. I bought 1/4" ruler and use a postcard taped to the ruler. That makes all the difference. You should give it another try. I love my 2 paper piece blocks the best. They are perfect! Love your quilt. I agree that black sashing would look the best with red cornerstones. Do a 1 1/2" sashing like Amy is doing and then do a 1 1/2" border in black. I think that would look killer!!!!

ube quilting 11-10-2012 05:26 PM

Black sashing w/ red cornerstones, then a very narrow red border and then a black one! Looks great.
peace

sustraley 11-11-2012 04:00 AM

jcrow--thanks for the info. I have tried PP and just can't get it. Maybe I will check out the UTube video. I got discouraged and just wanted to get the quilt done, so I gave up on the craftsy PP.

Thanks everyone