Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Aququilt dies & Big Shot or Big Kick (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aququilt-dies-big-shot-big-kick-t171406.html)

Jazzmyn 12-08-2011 02:52 PM

Aququilt dies & Big Shot or Big Kick

I thought I saw some info on here on the Aququilt dies , using them in the Big Shot/Kick machines? I can't seem to find the thread about it, so if any of you know about using the "aququilt dies" with the Big Shot/kick which ones can you use?

Thank You for your help, Roseanna(Jazzmyn)

JaneH 12-08-2011 03:02 PM

I've wondered this, too. I have a lot of Sizzix dies and a Big Shot, but would like to try using some Accuquilt dies.

Jazzmyn 12-08-2011 04:25 PM

Well since I can't spell...and I can't find the edit button.. at least Jane knew what I was talking about... Thanks Jane.

Any way I went on the Accuquilt site looking to see what size the dies are...the regular GO dies are too Big for the Big shot/Kick machine as the largest size die that will go in the machine is 6"....I did see that most of the Go Baby dies would work in the Big Shot/Kick machine as they are 6".

So I guess what I am asking do the Accuquilt dies work the same way as the Sizzix BL dies do? Does anyone use the Accuquilt Go Baby dies in the Big Shot/Kick machine? I know that sizzix makes the quilting dies but they don't have the selection like the Azccuquilt does.

Thank You, Roseanna (Jazzmyn)

Dolphyngyrl 12-08-2011 05:13 PM

I think you can but you need an adapter because they are thinner, haven't tried it yet for me so I am interested in this as well since I have the big shot

Ginaky 12-08-2011 05:32 PM

If you join the group pinsandneedles1 on yahoo, there is a lot of discussion about using the different dies in different machines. and yes, the accuquilt dies can be used in the big shot and big shot pro--you just need to use a shim for them.

Mitch's mom 12-08-2011 06:34 PM

I use Go dies in a Sizzix Westminster big shot pro. I don't have to worry with the width but I can answer your question about a shim. Poster board. The cheap stuff from the dollar store that comes in a package of 10 sheets for 1.00. I usually use 2 sheets under the cutting tray. If the fabric is thinner I add a sheet. The board doesn't get cut, it is under the die/fabric sandwich. The Dollar General poster board is perfect because it isn't real thick.

Xtgirl 12-08-2011 06:51 PM

I also have the Westminster big shot pro. I use go dies with postal service envelopes as shims...I'm also a member of the pins and needles group and I'm super happy with the purchases I've made through that group besides the help I've gotten with my questions. I got my westminster off of overstock at a great price, but I don't know much about the smaller sizzix models. I cut strips the other night and it was a huge time saver and so accurate.

hobo2000 12-08-2011 11:45 PM

Can you use Sizzix dies in a Go Baby?

Auntie Sherry 07-31-2012 11:06 PM

More info on the die companies

I own a Big Shot and I want to use some of the accuquilt dies. I do have a few and they work great in my machine. The trouble I have is that is difficult to get accurate width dimensions from the ads on the internet. Even at the accuquilt site it will say that a particular go baby die has to be used with the 6" cutting mat...and that isn't quite correct. The die can be a bit wider than 6"-it will work in the Go Baby but not in the Big Shot. Some of the accuquilt dies are 6 3/8" (that's per an e-mail I received from accuquilt)

I went to one gal's blog and when it is close like that her husband will actually shave a bit off the sides of the die with his saw...I'm not paying that kind of money for an accuquilt die and taking a chance on ruining it (I did think about it)

I have the 2 dies listed below-sorry for the caps, I just C&P'd from my inventory list

ACCUQUILT GO CUTS 2-3.5” SQUARES
ACCUQUILT GO CUTS 1 RECTANGLE 3.5" BY 6.5”

What would really be great is if anyone that has used an accuquilt die in their Big Shot machine could list it here-I'd appreciate it to the tips of my toes.

Oh, and the accuquilt dies are a bit thinner. I have some old manila folders that I have precut to the width of the big shot (about 6 1/8" wide) and I keep adding one until the sandwich is "tight".

While I was out searching for info I read on several blogs that Big Shot dies are too thick to fit thru the accuquilt machines. I wouldn't take that to the bank, but I kind of believe it.

Sitting here trying to be patient until I can verify to myself that I just have to get a Big Shot Pro. But dang, I just got the dang Big Shot and that would be silly...anyhow, that's what I keep telling myself. Guess I'll keep dreaming about that 8" rag quilt square die with all the fringe already cut by the die...

morganfam7 08-16-2017 08:45 PM

I know this is old, but thought I would post here in case anyone pulls this thread up in a search like I did.

I have the Sizzix Fabi which is essentially identical size wise to a Big Shot.

I bought the GO! Fabric Cutting Dies by AccuQuilt: Hexagon 2-inch; 3-inch; 5-inch. (Cuts one each 2-inch; 3-inch; and 5-inch). It is too big to fit in my Fabi. The die is just 1/8-1/4" too big.

A friend had her big accuquilt cutter at a retreat, and we cut 2 1/2" strips with it for jelly rolls. Wow! That machine will spoil you fast! But then I think of the fantastic deal I got on my Fabi at Tuesday Morning, and I'm all happy again :)

Marcy