Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   arthritis (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/arthritis-t22864.html)

bettybug 07-16-2009 12:24 PM

I,m having to have my joint in my fingers that is closest to my fingernail fused together and will have no bend in them, they are bone on bone will I still be able to quilt.

nativetexan 07-16-2009 12:26 PM

I've not had that done but I would think you could certainly still quilt. people work out ways to do what they love best. Don't fret, i'm sure you will figure out ways to hold the fabric and pin and sew.
good luck

sewjoyce 07-16-2009 12:37 PM

Good luck with your surgery!! And where there's a will, there's a way!! I'm sure you'll figure it out!

kluedesigns 07-16-2009 12:46 PM

ask the doctor for a referral to a physical therapist and then after that an occupational therapist so you'll be able to get back to quilting.

the physical therapist will restore you to the best level of motion you'll be able to achieve and then the occupational therapist will show you how to function with a needle and thread given your range of motion.

its a very common form of occupational therapy to refine detailed motor skills. they work with needle, thread, tiger tape, and some fabric.

explain to the doctor that you do numerous charity quilts and the community would feel a tremendous loss if you weren't able to regain this function in your life

MadQuilter 07-16-2009 02:15 PM

Good luck with the surgery. You may want to check out a different method of hand quilting where you don't bend your finger as much Check into the Aunt Becky method. It's more of a rocking motion with a metal guide.

Ninnie 07-16-2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Good luck with your surgery!! And where there's a will, there's a way!! I'm sure you'll figure it out!

I agree, you will find a way around it!

mimisharon 07-16-2009 02:19 PM

Bless your heart! I hope the surgery goes well, you get relief, and that you are back quilting soon! I have arthritis in my spine and have so far kept myself moving enough to keep it from having to HAVE to have surgery. The docs keep encouraging me to let them cut but no way until I can't walk anymore.

I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. DO the therapy for sure, it will hurt but short term.
Hugs,
Sharon

MsSage 07-16-2009 03:05 PM

Sorry if I missed but which finger is it?
I am sure you will find a way to do something you love.

I know I ahve this to look forward to both in my back and my little finger....right now I am just plugging along.
I am much too young to feel this dang old :?

mamaw 07-16-2009 04:23 PM

HI there,
I almost lost my right index finger 36 years ago, and when they did the repair surgery I lost the use of the joint below the fingernail. I am right handed; and still am able to cross stitch, sew, crochet, knit, and have just started doing wool applique. You should be fine when done your therapy. Actually, I don't even notice it unless I think about it now.
Good luck and hope you have a great outcome!!!
Nancy

bettybug 07-16-2009 05:52 PM

it;s my first finger ,middle finger and pinky on right hand then later on my left first finger and middle one, thanks for the encouragement and prAYERS