Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Arugh!! :-( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/arugh-t203409.html)

LLWinston44 10-16-2012 04:58 PM

Arugh!! :-(

1 Attachment(s)
Waaahhhh!!! I am just so discouraged!! Im making a requested quilt for my son who is a Marine in Adghanistan. I am just having the worst time. I, of couse, want it to be perfect. The pattern I am doing is a big star (You can see my previous posts... I think it's under color help) with an applique shield in the middle. The pattern shows super bright colors, I felt that the colors that went with the theme were more, muted I guess the word is. Like browns, golds, burgandy etc. Well, the background is black. Unfortunately the colors, to ME, are too dark!!! It makes it just a dark quilt!!! I don't like it. Now, part of the problem is that I tend to be a bit... well... perfectionist. Also, I WANT it to be perfect so that it will be something he DOES love forever! I am THINKING now that I DO need bright colors but I spent SOOOO much on all the fabric I already have that I'm going to have a hard time justifiying it!! I am SO sad. I just don't know what to do. He's going to be home for Christmas I hope, and I SO want to give this to him.

Here's what I've ended up with. Please let me know what you think. This is just one of four quadrants

[ATTACH=CONFIG]370496[/ATTACH]

Pat625 10-16-2012 05:05 PM

I reallyt like it..It is very masculine looking..and remember that where he will be it might be hard to keep a lighter or brighter quilt clean looking.

sew_Tracy 10-16-2012 05:07 PM

I think it's fantabulous! Perfect for a guy...trust me, they don't see color the way we do. Keep your chin up, he will love this rustic looking manly quilt!

janRN 10-16-2012 05:09 PM

I agree with Pat--it's very masculine looking. Step back, take a deep breath and keep on going--it will be wonderful and he will love it! Thank your son for what he is doing for all of us.

LLWinston44 10-16-2012 05:23 PM

Really?? You don't think it's too dark? Can you see the shape of the star? It just seems to me that all the fabrics blend together too much for the pattern to show well..... ?? GOod point about the laundry... it's not his strongest domestic attribute. lol. And when he gets back he'll be in the barraks so I'm sure he'll be mostly washing his uniform and not much time for washing quilts. I WILL thank him. Thank you! Oh Aalso, up in the corners will be yellow triangles appliqued also.

bearisgray 10-16-2012 05:27 PM

Could you replace a few of the dark darks with mediums? I agree that it is quite dark - - -

Prism99 10-16-2012 05:28 PM

I haven't seen the entire idea, so my comments may not be relevant. When I looked at the picture here, it seems to me the colors are fine; however, I would consider replacing the black with a camouflage fabric, or perhaps a silvery gray.

grammy Dwynn 10-16-2012 05:38 PM

Are you one that 'likes' light, soft or pastel colors? Or is it that you 'need/want' big contrasts (etc black against white)? Sometimes working out of ones 'colors' is harder.

As other have said ~ it is masculine looking ..... keep going ..... it will work out! :)

patski 10-16-2012 05:50 PM

Keep going, it will be like a hug from Mom and thatis the most important thing for him

kathdavis 10-16-2012 05:54 PM

Very nice!