Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attention UK Residents - Quilting Store in Central London? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attention-uk-residents-quilting-store-central-london-t213109.html)

Canada Kate 02-06-2013 08:04 AM

Attention UK Residents - Quilting Store in Central London?

I'm going to London, England, for a week at the end of February, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any good quilting and/or fabric stores in central London? I'd love to get some fabric while I am there on my trip.

cannyquilter 02-06-2013 04:04 PM

I dont know that there are a lot of quilting shops in London. You should go to Liberty's they sell wonderful fabric but very, very expensive. Are you going to be in London for the whole week? I hope you enjoy your trip

Knitette 02-06-2013 04:23 PM

Remember - we import most of our fabrics now, mostly from US. Be prepared to spend $18-22 US a metre (39"). The department store John Lewis (bit like Macy's) carry notions and some fabric. Enjoy your trip!

lots2do 02-06-2013 04:27 PM

I found great yarn there but not a lot of fabric when I went.

annesthreads 02-06-2013 11:47 PM

Quilt shops tend to be in smaller towns outside central London - the overheads would be too high for them in the centre. Are you visiting any places outside London? But note the post above: fabric is incredibly expensive here, and mostly American. I would second John Lewis and Liberty as the best places in central London.

Tamzyn 02-07-2013 01:18 AM

There is a place called Fabrics Galore in Lavender Hill, Clapham I haven't been there but I have heard good things about it.The website isn't all that helpful as its being re-constructed and they've always said that their fabrics change so frequently they wouldn't be able to keep the website up to date.

52-52 Lavender Hill, SW11 5RH

There are others that come up in a search of www.yell.co.uk (directory enquiries) so depending on where you will be staying in London you might find a closer one :)

hope you enjoy your visit here!

CoventryUK 02-07-2013 03:07 AM

Just bring LOTS of $$$$$$ with you!!!! We pay a lot more for our fabrics than you do in USA!!!:( Enjoy your trip.....lots to see!!

DOTTYMO 02-07-2013 04:04 AM

If you do a google search for quilt shops in London UK . I have found 3 they are on the fringes of London. Have a look at them and see the distances from where you are. But why not see if the Victoria and Albert has a quilt area to look at rather than a quilt shop containing all the notions you had at least a year ago and fabric very expensive and then duty to pay is a lot.
If you contact the quilt guild they may suggest a shop or a group which cn help.

Canada Kate 02-07-2013 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 5844164)
If you do a google search for quilt shops in London UK . I have found 3 they are on the fringes of London. Have a look at them and see the distances from where you are. But why not see if the Victoria and Albert has a quilt area to look at rather than a quilt shop containing all the notions you had at least a year ago and fabric very expensive and then duty to pay is a lot.
If you contact the quilt guild they may suggest a shop or a group which cn help.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I didn't know most of your fabric comes from the States, making it as expensive as it is here in Canada. The V&A is on my list of things to do while I am there. I have been there before but did not see the textile exhibits. I'll be sure to see it this time!