Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Aurifil or King Tut for quilting thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aurifil-king-tut-quilting-thread-t84330.html)

Prism99 12-21-2010 10:53 AM

I haven't used either of these but want to try out a variegated thread for some new quilts. Am thinking of using So Fine as the bobbin thread (haven't tried that before either). Trying to branch out from using standard Mettler thread.

If you have used any of these threads, did you like them?

kathy 12-21-2010 10:54 AM

I do use King Tut and So Fine often, like them both

chiaraquilts 12-21-2010 10:56 AM

I have used Aurafil and King Tut, they are both wonderful. I find it better to use a topstitch needle with the King Tut.

QuiltingGrannie 12-21-2010 10:56 AM

I use So Fine and King Tut with the Longarm.
King Tut requires a bit more tension changes, but like them both. I have not tried Aurifill.

stewyscrewy 12-21-2010 10:57 AM

I love king tut but it is sure linty. I just did a customer quilt with tut threads and waitng for her to pick it up.

katier825 12-21-2010 11:43 AM

I haven't used the King Tut yet, but love the Aurifil!

thepolyparrot 12-21-2010 11:55 AM

I like Aurifil and King Tut about the same - I think the King Tut has more frequent color changes, and sometimes that's a factor. The Auriful that I've bought is a little more matte than the Tut - but really, they're both wonderful, strong threads and look beautiful on the surface of the quilt.

I like Bottom Line for bobbin thread, but I just bought generic bobbins pre-wound with a 70wt poly filament thread and that thread looks and acts exactly like Bottom Line in my machines and on the quilt. Really glossy and pretty and only $30 for a gross of bobbins. I quilted more heavily than I usually do and only used ten bobbins, so I think they have a lot more thread on them than I can wind on the machine. I think I usually go through 14-18 bobbins on a large quilt like this.

I don't have a long-arm - I'm using a 1947 Singer 15-91 for quilting. Superior recommends a size 14 topstitching needle with a domestic machine, but I used that on my last quilt and I got a LOT of skipped stitches. (One of the fabrics was of a tight weave like a good sheeting, so that may have been a culprit, too.)

But, I used a regular size 12 sharp needle on this one and if I have any skipped stitches on this quilt, I didn't notice them.

Kas 12-21-2010 12:40 PM

I like the King Tut better. I have had had lots of breakage problems with the Aurifil after the quilt was washed, but none with the King Tut.

Jo Mama 12-21-2010 12:51 PM

I am a BIG fan of King Tut. I never have any problem with it and it looks so nice. To construct my quilts I use Robison Anton Oatmeal since it blends into almost all colors. Just bought some similar color from Connecting Threads to try out since it is less expensive. But for quilting - King Tut.

Lori S 12-21-2010 01:04 PM

When it comes to the quilting , I am a King Tut fan. I also love all the colors. I like on all the Superior Threads they tell you the recommended needle.. saves on me experimenting to figure it out.