Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Aurifil Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aurifil-thread-t46424.html)

miholmes 05-19-2010 11:12 AM

Okay,

So I have my new Bernina, and the shop is recommending I only use Aurifil thread. Now I'm sure it's GREAT thread, but at $10 a spool it can get a little pricey....although there is a lot on a spool.

Anyway, I'm no thread expert, but is this what I should go with? Or are there some alternatives?

dsb38327 05-19-2010 11:22 AM

Good luck. I am sure you will get some good recommendations. Isn't it nice to have so many people to get hands on experience from? Congratulations on the new machine. Enjoy.

salmonsweet 05-19-2010 11:32 AM

I use Aurifil for piecing and a spool of it goes a looooooooooooooooong way. :)

Bluphrog 05-19-2010 11:37 AM

And I'm sure that the shop sells it, too, don't they?

My suggestion is to use what you like. If your machine doesn't like it, it will tell you.

I have a Bernina QE 440, and I've always used the Gutterman 100% cotton (50/3 weight) for piecing. I've used rayon thread for topstitching, and I discovered the Prescencia 100% cotton (60/2) threads (which I love and which is replacing the Gutterman!). All of them work just fine on my Bernina. I know one 440 owner who won't use anything but the Mettler threads and another who loves YLI.

It's my understanding that most Aurifil threads are a 50/2 weight, which is a little light for piecing. I like a 50/3 or a 60/3 for piecing and for quilting, which is why I use what I do.

For more information about the differences in threads, Harriet Hargraves' "Heirloom Machine Quilting, 4th Edition" has a lot of good information.

Hinterland 05-19-2010 11:39 AM

LOL - my Bernina dealer suggests I use a particular brand of polyester thread...which they sell.

Aurifil is great thread, and yes, those $10 spools last a really long time. I use it for machine piecing. I think so long as you stay away from really cheap thread you'll be fine.

I went to a talk given by the owner of Superior Thread. He said it was ironic that quilters who spent a lot of money on high end machines seemed to balk at paying extra for good thread.

Janet

miholmes 05-19-2010 11:44 AM

Yeah, sounds like it's a nice quality thread. Don't laugh, but I wanted to buy several spools to have on hand, so I can have one of those pretty displays of threads in my sewing room. (lol....ridiculous I know)

Looks like I will need to budget for it as I do my quilts. And you make a perfect point, for the money spent on the machine, I should pop for good thread.

Kinda like people who buy luxury vehicles and then complain it only uses premium fuel. :)

salmonsweet 05-19-2010 11:48 AM

Not laughing. I bought all 10 colours of Aurifil my supplier sells. Now I find they are lasting so long that I'll have a nice display for a long time! :lol:

katier825 05-19-2010 11:50 AM

My machine and I love it! It does go a long way. If you want to stock up, just buy the basic colors for now. I love variegated threads and tend to use a lot of yellows and blues in addition to white and off-white. What colors do you tend to use the most? Start there. If I have a small project or think I won't use much of a color, I get Guttermann instead.

thequilteddove 05-19-2010 11:51 AM

I haven't ordered from them yet, but I have been look'n for aurifil at a more reasonable place & I found this site. Unfortunately, the color I want is out of stock!

http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/search...=search&page=1

brushandthimble 05-19-2010 12:01 PM

Carmenwarehouse.com sells the Aurfil thread at a discount. They do not always carry a large selection of colors but I usually buy three or four different neutrals so the selection doesn't bother me. If I need a color the longarm I do end up paying the $10.00.
I love the Aurifil thread, no bulk to the seams, and alot goes on the bobbin as it so thin.
No, I do not think it is to thin to piece with as I have been pieceing with it for about 8 years, since I took a class from Kathy Sanback (sp).