Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   AWL, what do you use it for. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/awl-what-do-you-use-t98080.html)

Olivia's Grammy 02-09-2011 03:57 AM

I've been sewing for 50+ years and have never used an awl. I keep seeing it in the new notions section of magazines. Do you have one and what do you do with it.

granky 02-09-2011 04:17 AM

If my memory serves me right, an awl was once used to poke holes in leather. In sewing, I suppose you would use it to make a hole for a grommet...I know I've needed something of the sort from time to time...

grann of 6 02-09-2011 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I've been sewing for 50+ years and have never used an awl. I keep seeing it in the new notions section of magazines. Do you have one and what do you do with it.

We used to use an awl to poke a hole for grommets, etc. I don't use one any more, but they can be use as an extra "finger" in tight places, where I use a chopstick. I think you see a lot of things advertised like this just to get you to buy. I have so many tools that I have bought and never used.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-09-2011 05:26 AM

Some people use an awl or stylus to hold fabric as it sews close to the needle. Eleanor Burns uses one frequently.

Lacelady 02-09-2011 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Some people use an awl or stylus to hold fabric as it sews close to the needle. Eleanor Burns uses one frequently.

That's just how I use mine.

Olivia's Grammy 02-09-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy

We used to use an awl to poke a hole for grommets, etc. I don't use one any more, but they can be use as an extra "finger" in tight places, where I use a chopstick. I think you see a lot of things advertised like this just to get you to buy. I have so many tools that I have bought and never used.

You too, huh

bj 02-09-2011 07:08 AM

I use mine sometimes as a stylus, too, especially if a seam is bulky. Bamboo skewers also work well.

Feather3 02-09-2011 07:12 AM

I use an awl or stylus to hold the fabric very close to the needle. Mine came as a set with a seam ripper. I also have a "finger stylus" I use.

CoyoteQuilts 02-09-2011 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter

That's just how I use mine.

Me too! I use a clover ball point awl and also use it as my seam ripper. I hate the little pieces of thread when using a regular ripper and find this one as quick and lots less clean up time.....

dellareya 02-09-2011 09:39 AM

I do a lot of crocheted edges on flour sack dish towels. I use my awl to poke holes around the edges and then crochet in the holes. It works for me.