Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Blanket (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-blanket-t171314.html)

sjambor 12-07-2011 05:26 PM

Baby Blanket

I am trying to make a baby blanket out of fleece material with batting in between. I have already put the binding on. What my question is how can I get the thin yarn thru the material to hold the batting in place? Or is there another alternative to solving this. Thanks.

luvTooQuilt 12-07-2011 05:28 PM

I would think a yarn needle.. the one that looks like a needle on steroids.. .. Ive never tied one before..

cherrio 12-07-2011 05:29 PM

well, fleece and batting both will be awfully warm. you can sew/quilt it instead of tying it. not an option? maybe you are needing a sharper needle? what are you have trouble with?

Tartan 12-07-2011 09:44 PM

Smooth out your quilt on a big table. When you have it wrinkle free, secure the edges with painter's tape to hold it down. You can use the big bull dog clamps on the table edge (if they will fit) to hold the quilt down too. If you have a big curved needle (come in a pkg. for tent mending) use that if not a big straight needle will work. Thread the needle with a long piece of embroidery thread or yarn. Start on one side taking a 1/4 in. stitch from the top, through the layers and back to the top. Do not cut the thread but go over about 3-4 in. and do another stitch, working all across the width of the quilt. You cut the thread between the stitches after the whole line is done and tie the ends with a square knot. Continue untill the whole quilt is done.
Some people like to forgo the table and place the quilt to be tied on their Q-snap frame and do it that way. Others do it on the floor but you have to use an old surface as the needle can scratch the surface/floor.

GRANNYMO 12-08-2011 07:12 AM

I like using the curved needle, I do not tape mine down, but do spread it on on old table. That said, I have sometimes had to use needle nose pliers to pull the needle thru. Using embroidery thread is much easier to pull thru the sandwich.

willferg 12-08-2011 07:55 AM

One time I used yarn to tie a quilt I'd made with a cotton top, batting, and fleece for backing (I've done that many times, actually). I don't think I used a big enough needle, because I had to wrestle the needle and yarn through and my fingers were killing me! I have used a curved needle, and it helped some, but still, it was work. I realized that going through such thick layers with thick thread (yarn) was a challenge -- but doable!

Emma S 12-08-2011 08:11 AM

Recently I saw a tut that showed using machine bar tacks instead of yarn.

fluffygirl 12-08-2011 10:50 AM

I have machine "tied" quilts before. On a baby quilt for a little girl I used bows. I have used other decorative stitches and bar tacks also. If you can set your machine to sew just one repeat of a pattern it is really quick. As long as you can pin baste your quilt, you should be able to tack it even if you have already done the binding. I have had to do that when repairing quilts that had been tied. Good luck.

Pat

TanyaL 12-08-2011 10:58 AM

If you are using yarn or all the strands of embroidery floss you could use a leather needle or a sail maker's needle. I would inquire at a saddle shop ot an upholester's if you have trouble locating these specialized needles. Either way you may want to get the leather hand deal (can't remember the name - it's sort of like a half glove) that they use with these instead of a thimble. That way you have your whole hand to push the needle through, not just a finger. The leather protects the palm of your hand and you push the needle with your palm. It's worked for hundreds or thousands of years and it still works very well. Tandy Leather might sell everything you need.

mucky 12-08-2011 01:17 PM

Did you see several things that have been on quiltitng sites where to zig zag your lenth of yarn in place on the machine through everything and then tie it. Sounds like a winner to me.