Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   baby lock embroidery machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-lock-embroidery-machine-t23133.html)

coconuts 07-23-2009 06:05 AM

Help, does any one have the ellure baby lock machine? I need some tips and where to purchase stabilizer, etc. Thanks coconuts

LindaR 07-23-2009 06:14 AM

I think babylock is made by the Brother Co...or affiliated. I buy all my supplies on line at ebay or Ken's in AL....I don't have much supply here in town so I am forced to shop on line. I have 2 brothers that I absolutely love. Iwent to al bigger one cuz I wanted bigger hoop size....great machines

coconuts 07-23-2009 11:45 AM

I just got my machine and missed the lessons because they had them before I purchased. I am going to put an embroider butterfly on a small denim purse for a grandaughter, so I imagine the sticky self adhesive Sulky will work. But if I embroider pillowcases or dishtowells do I still have to use that or can I go to a lighter weight tear a way or wash a way?Does it always have to have a sticky back or can i use a spray adhesive with a wash a way on those two items?

cutebuns 07-23-2009 11:58 AM

I find this site very helpful, especially for those that are just learning, it has a sister site with a bunch of patterns that you can buy. it can give way more details on what you are doing than I can give in a few short posts, and just remember that you will get your own stye and find what works best for you.

Sisters Embroidery 07-23-2009 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by coconuts
I just got my machine and missed the lessons because they had them before I purchased. I am going to put an embroider butterfly on a small denim purse for a grandaughter, so I imagine the sticky self adhesive Sulky will work. But if I embroider pillowcases or dishtowells do I still have to use that or can I go to a lighter weight tear a way or wash a way?Does it always have to have a sticky back or can i use a spray adhesive with a wash a way on those two items?

Hi Coconuts! Finally someone i may be able to really help! I have a 6 needle Brother and a BabyLoc sewing machine. They are made by the same company and were i u i'd go back to the co. u bought your machine from and ask for classes. They shouldn't do just one and if you miss it you're outta luck! If they do spread the word, NOT good customer service!
On your denim, if it's a light butterfly, not full of satin stitches, an inexpensive tearaway works fine. On towels if there is a loft make sure you use a water soluable topper. (looks kinda like saran wrap and must be kept in a ziploc) Depending on denseness of stitches again, you can use a tearaway up to a cutaway underneath. My biggest budgeting tip on stablizer: Use a cheap tearaway to extend across your hoop and cut just large enough a piece of cutaway for your design if you need cutaway. I have all the stablizers but mostly use a med. tearaway and a heavy cutaway. The sticky back stables are really expensive so unless i'm doing a knit, jersey or rayon, (which i avoid like the plague!) i don't use stickys. If i were rich i'd use it all the time but...
I never use spray adhesive, i know all the magazines say to use it but it's a huge mess, not good for you to breath and i haven't missed it since the first few times i tried it. Hooping is the trick. I'd really recommend you get some muslin & other cheap fabrics as well as practicing on your jeans or any other different fabrics you can work on and just embroider, embroider, embroider! You'll get hooping down, stablizers down and know which thread colors you like on which designs. I have a book of designs, (besides my jeans!) that i just cut up and sewed together. I wrote on the fabric anything happened, what i need to change/keep the same, whatever. It sounds anal but you've GOT to stitch out every new design before you can use it on a gift or something you want to keep. Why not keep it and write down all the info while it's fresh in your mind?
Whew! Sorry, been embroidering for a few years now and i guess i needed to share!
Feel free to convo me anytime, obviously i'm happy to share!
Jae :roll:

coconuts 07-23-2009 01:33 PM

Thank you so much for the information. Where I bought it....small quilting shop here in Richland Center, Wi....but she does have a web page its www.thimblenthread.net The classes won't be offered again, only those where you must buy materials from her plus the cost of classes. Also, I didn't know a 175.00 attachment to read cards must be purchased, was disapointed she didn't share that with me. This is something I wanted for along time and probably should have shopped around more, only thing is getting service when you need it. Thanks again and I will probably get in touch with you again. (Am 81, so this is my big attempt ay embrodery) Jane

Sisters Embroidery 07-23-2009 01:46 PM

Jane,
Check on ebay or etsy and see if you can find the baby loc or brother "dongle". I couldn't tell if you'd already purchased that or not, if not try either of those. I bet you'll find it for less! Do you have software to look at & make changes to your embroidery designs? If so which one? My Mom is 81 too. She's just gotten a embroidery/sewing machine about a year ago. (i do her embroidery!) Too much of a learning curve for her so good for you for going there! :thumbup: I use memory sticks almost exclusively. The cards are expensive to purchase so i buy my designs online and use memory sticks. Really easy. :wink: See the add below? They have the best prices, i'm on their mailing list so i get all the sales and they have Great sales! AND they are well digitized. I don't know how many designs i've bought that weren't well digitized and therefore not useable. I'd start w/these guys. They haven't let me down once and that's saying alot!

coconuts 07-23-2009 04:11 PM

Can't find the add you have posted in your last reply. This is for the digital patterns, can you resend it?

Sisters Embroidery 07-23-2009 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by coconuts
Can't find the add you have posted in your last reply. This is for the digital patterns, can you resend it?

It was a paid for ad that i didn't know changes when you re-load the page. Sorry. It's embroidery library. I think the link is www.emblibrary.com. Be sure to sign up for their emails. I think that's the only way to find out about the sales.

coconuts 07-24-2009 03:45 AM

Thanks, will give it a try. Will probably have more questions later.