Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Lock Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-lock-question-t181687.html)

Dolphyngyrl 03-05-2012 04:38 PM

You can probably get a good used babylock quest for under 1000, they are really good and used to run about 1200 new before they were replaced with the serenade which has gotten mixed reviews, I think the quilter's choice is under 1000, but it might be called something else now. I would ask to see if they have any used machines, you should be able to get one of the higher end models that they no longer make at a discount. If you can get a used espire under 1000 it is a machine I highly recommend. I paid 1800 about 2 years ago and it has been replaced with the symphony now which I think run about 2500 and also get good reviews. audrey is around 399 great machine for classes but has a small harp so not great for FMQ. Either way babylocks are very solid machines. I had a teacher that had every brand out there, and she said the only machines that she felt were up there in quality with the berninas were the babylocks. I haven't had any others to compare, but have never had any trouble from my babylock, and it is a little workhorse.

bmanley 03-05-2012 05:10 PM

I love my Baby Lock Espire. Got it from someone on this board for $650.00. Well worth the money. Good luck on your purchase and hope you have lots of fun.:)

Melinda in Tulsa 03-05-2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by wilson (Post 5033171)
So is the Babylock supposed to be a better quality than the Brother or a cheaper quality? I am in the market for a new machine for quilting and there are the Bernina supporters that say that is the only way to go. I currently have an old Viking, but am wondering what brand machines of good quality are out there?

Babylock standards are higher than Brothers.

MadQuilter 03-05-2012 05:37 PM

I have a Baby Lock Espire (now sold as the Symphonie) and I love my machine. She is such an easy-going no frills lady - it's amazing. Now admittedly, she was pricey but she has been worth the money to me. The only thing I miss is a built-in walking foot. I know that some of the models now have that available. It is the only reason I would trade her in but for now, Quilla and I are very happy together.

Someone asked about the quality: Baby Lock has the higher quality and the better warranty compared to Brother. Although, I have had a Brother lower end machine and she was well-behaved too.

Rosie the "Ripper" 03-05-2012 08:01 PM

I bought a BabyLock from a fabric shop that teaches classes. Once a year the put all the "class" machines on sale. They cost much less used and they completely overhauled it, cleaned it and it has a one year warranty on it from the shop. I took the free lessons three times and can take them over and over again. They are extremely helpful. I love the machine and don't really think mine is any different from a brand new one. Haven't had one problem since I bought it. It is a Baby Lock Quilters Choice (which is the updated Melody) and I pain $600.00 for it.

kathdavis 03-05-2012 08:37 PM

I was told by the people at Brother that Brother and Baby Lock are made at the same place and are the same machines. Most of the Baby Locks have a twin Brother machine. I have the Brother Innovis 2000 Laura Ashley which is the same as Baby Lock's Symphony. It is the same exact machine. I've sewed on both of them. I also have the Brother D950 which is the same as Baby Lock's Sofia.