Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Lock Quilters Choice machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-lock-quilters-choice-machine-t34495.html)

Fel 03-21-2010 04:13 PM

Thanks! I laugh most of the time, but sometimes it's a pain. Most people seem to love the babylocks, though.

pam1966 03-21-2010 05:08 PM

I have the Quest Plus (Quilter's Dream Series) and I love it. I had an Espire for many years and last year when I decided to start quilting I upgraded. I just like Babylock.

sewnsewer2 03-21-2010 05:23 PM

I was looking at this machine too but bought a Juki TL98Q. It is basically the same machine and hundreds less too! I love my Juki.

kkbrand 03-25-2010 11:06 AM

I am thinking of buying the Baby Lock Quilters Choice too, my local sewing center is a dealer and the owner loves hers.

I just cannot justify spend $3500 for a Bernina QE when I know this does the same thing just does not have the Stitch regulator on it.

My LQS sells it for $999 regular price

Justok 03-25-2010 12:35 PM

I have the Baby Lock Quilters Dream Series, Espire. I just love it. My dealer here is a joy to have. He does my yearly check- up and has not found any problems yet. I know my machine does more things than I will ever use, but it is nice to have them. You are getting a good price, compared to mine, so I say go for it, (but don't blame if it blows up; Ha Ha.)

JoyVoltenburg 03-25-2010 12:44 PM

I have the BabyLock Decorators Choice and I absolutely love it. I've had it for about 4 years now, and wouldn't part with it. I've only had it in for service once - jammed it with thread in the bobbin area after doing a large flannel and jeans quilt. It's been an absolute workhorse. I also have a Singer 401, which I have kept as a backup, but haven't had to use it.

mypatookis 07-27-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fel
I must admit I am disappointed with my babylock quilter's machine. The first time I used it, the walking foot fell apart. The dealer I purchased the machine from advised me to buy a Janome walking foot because it was "better made".

Be careful when you use this machine. The needle has two settings : one center and one slightly to the left. The default setting is to the left. If you use the quilting foot and don't center the needle it will snap. I learned this the hard way : The needle snapped on my machine and flew into my eye. I quickly changed the default setting to center, let me tell you.

I am now working on another quilt and am finding that the automatic thread cutter is not working at all. Soooo, tomorrow it will go back again to the dealer to see what is wrong this time.

Buyer Beware,

Fel

Fel, I have a baby lock espire. My sister gave me hers (thank you very much!) I am wondering how you set the needle default to center. I can't find instructions for doing that. I can move the needle to center, but the next time I turn the machine on, it goes back to left. I would LOVE to change the default on my machine. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sue

mudsprite 01-17-2011 12:24 AM

I have the Baby Lock Quilters Choice, ESE 2, and the Ellegante.
The Baby Lock Quilters Choice is the machine I use almost all of the time. I bought it last year and I think the new models are called Melody but they are the same machines.

I can truthfully say it has a wonderful motor but like other gals say, the needle always starts in the left position so when I am done sewing, I push the button and drop the foot so that I remember to reset needle position each time I sew.

I just think Baby Lock is the most user friendly machine on the market.

What I did was to go to the Baby Lock dealer once a week and sewed on all their machines and then brought my own material.
I did that for months. Truly!!! When I finally bought, I knew I had made the right choice. It is also a good way to PREVIEW the DEALERS, how helpful, free lessons with your machine? not to mention how they treat you BEFORE you buy.

Hope this helps.

Maia B 01-17-2011 01:35 AM

I have a Babylock Quest Plus. LOVE it! But $999 is too much for the Quilters Choice IMO. Some folks have gotten the Quest Plus for that, and it has Pfaff-like dual feed and a wider harp. No auto cut though. I'd try to get the QC for $600 or less, or get a QP for $999 or get a Janome 3160 for $600-650.

Boscobd 01-17-2011 08:31 PM

I have a Babylock Quilter's Choice Pro and really like it. I really just piece and quilt (FMQ and SID) and this machine works great for that. It is not fancy, has a workhorse of a motor, and is very smooth and solid. I have a newer Singer that I use if I want to do decorative stitching, but my main machine is the Quilter's Choice. The new model name for the Quilter's Choice Pro is Jane. I'm seriously considering buying a Jane for the day that my current Babylock needs replacing (far, far into the future hopefully!) - that's how much I like this machine.