Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby toys (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-toys-t82220.html)

AlyssaR 12-11-2010 08:18 PM

So I really want to get started on some toys for the little one on the way. I am due in june and don't know the sex yet. Wondering if anyone has some great ideas for baby toys that are easy enough for me to make. I was thinking the colors red, yellow and maybe green for unisex colors right now. Really not the best at sewing :( Thanks everyone! Can't wait to hear and see (would be helpful) some of your wonderful ideas. <3

AlyssaR

dotcomdtcm 12-11-2010 08:24 PM

Hi Alyssa,
Why don't you start with quilts, bumpers for the crib, bibs, burping cloths, etc. Baby won't need toys for a while! A mobile? Decor for baby's room (or corner)? I hope you are feeling well. At this time next year you'll be making Baby's stocking!LOL Dotty

OneMoreQuilt 12-11-2010 08:29 PM

Don't forget about books! You can buy the panels with directions right on them to sew them into books. Great for babies first books. Exposing him/her to the written word early is important (sorry, the 2nd grade teacher in me just pops out!!!) They can't destroy them and you can throw them in the washer and dryer.

RST 12-11-2010 08:56 PM

If you like those "uglies" style stuffies, they are super easy to sew. You really would not need a pattern (though I am sure they exist) just use pretty colors and softly rounded shapes of wool felt.

Another fun baby toy item would be fabric blocks. You can sew a jingle bell or some shakers (tictac boxes filled with rice or pennies and then securely glued shut) inside the blocks for fun sound effects.

A tactile quilt is nice even for a very young baby during tummy time. Use simple shapes, bright colors with high contrast, and all kinds of interesting textures. I know there was a thread not long ago about tactile quilts for vision impaired kids -- you could probably find it if you search -- they are fun for any child.

RST

LovinMySoldier 12-11-2010 09:40 PM

So everyone has there opinions about crib bumpers. Use don't use what have you. But if I were you I would work on a crib set. Crib sheets are super easy. Here is a tutorial that I used to start with. My son is still in a toddler bed and loves the different sheets. You have to scroll down a bit to actually get to the tutorial.

http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/201...rial-with.html

And then for the crib bumpers they are so dang cute and easy to make. You can buy the nu foam bumpers at J0anns for like 16 bucks if you use a 40% coupon. They hold there shape and are washable and what not. Really easy to make. I also added cording to the tops of mine. I didn't want to spend to much time on these so instead of making 4 ties for all 6 bumpers (24 ties total) I just bought some ribbon that matched. Turned out really really cute. And way cheaper then buying a set.

Then you could make a crib skirt. I never made one but they had a bunch of tutorials online. My son is now 4 and my husband and I decided not to find out the sex of our kiddo. So I did his room in baby jungle animals and kept a neutral theme. Good luck! Have fun. Congratulations :)

Willa 12-11-2010 11:23 PM

Quilts, bibs, and that toy fabric block(suggested by RST) are big winners. I do have to agree with OneMoreQuilt about reading lots to your baby and as he/she grows.

raedar63 12-12-2010 01:38 AM

For gender neutral toys red and black are good for babies eyes or somthing like that ,I don't remember the details but know in fancy stores there are companies that just sell red and black baby things.

Hey ladies,did you notice the don't know the sex yet? Remember when we never knew till the we one poped out? lol

bakermom 12-12-2010 10:22 AM

I made a small "tag" blanket for my GD. about 12" square with minkey on one side and satin on the other. Added different textured ribbons to the sides. Also sewed shapes and put scrunched up cellophane inside to crinkle when squeezed. Added ribbons to the edgs of these too. they could be attached to stroller of carseat with those plastic links.

katiebear1 12-12-2010 11:28 AM

Not to put a damper on things, but bumpers should not be used. It is because they are so soft. Baby can "scoot" around in their crib and they can get their noses smushed up agaist them. Really young babies could not even lift their heads. Same reason experts say to put Baby to bed on their backs not on there stomachs.

AlyssaR 12-12-2010 09:24 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I love the toy block idea and maybe a tag blanket. Maybe also an O shape fluff toy (easier to grab sometimes) I haven't ever heard of a book cover but it sounds like a good idea. I plan on reading to my baby a lot and playing a lot of music (I love music)