Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Back to an old idea...have several more questions about it. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/back-old-idea-have-several-more-questions-about-t4306.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 01-30-2008 09:56 PM

Lately I've been playing some older Zelda games. And the way my train of thought goes I get to thinking of one thing which leads to about 500 other things and so now I'm here typing up this new subject.

Remember like half a year ago I came up with that idea to make a wall hanging the map from Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker? Well, I got to thinking about that and how to tackle it when I get around to it. If I want the map to scale I'd either have to make the islands super small and impossible to sew or make the wall hanging exceedingly huge and might as well be a regular quilt.

I think I came up with an idea to solve the problem: fabric printing. Could print the islands on 6" blocks so then it could be to scale. But I'm not sure how well this would work because I've never printed on fabric before. The other thing I'm worried about is it having a "fake" look to it.

And even if I went and quilted the islands I'm not sure how I would quilt the whole thing together (I didn't get to thinking that far when I first came up with this idea). I thought about quilting in the currents of the sea and then I remembered: there were no sea or wind currents in the game and I'm not about to make any up. Got any ideas?

Celeste 01-30-2008 11:58 PM

No ideas whatsoever. :cry: I was not blessed with much creativity.

I do want to say though that I think this is an excellent idea and I do hope that you'll be able to figure out what you need to do to get this done!

barnbum 01-31-2008 04:07 AM

Keep talking it through--it'll come to you. What's on your mind about it now? Hmmmm?

I'm afraid I'm only helpful in the "You can do it!" category--your thoughts go beyond mine. :wink:

vicki reno 01-31-2008 05:27 AM

My advice would be not to worry about scale. The whole thing is make believe so just make it in such a way that is pleasing to you. It is an art quilt and as such there is nothing in any rule book in existence that says it has to be accurate. If it looks good to you, and you enjoy it, thats what matters. I for one missed the train that handed out creativity but have lots of opinions :lol: :lol: :lol:

Melissa 01-31-2008 05:42 AM

What a cool idea! I'd have to say that's my favorite Zelda game. I know there is some un-chartered territory in that game, but maybe you could quilt it from the path your boat has to make to get from island to island.

Isn't there also some nasty stuff that attacks you in the water? I'm thinking of a water spout or something like that. Maybe you could quilt in those little details too.

Just a thought.

BillyTeeJohnFrancescasMom 01-31-2008 06:40 AM

OK- Go to about.com/od/fabricdyeing/Fabric_PrintingandDyeing_Techniques.htm
This site is GREAT. Janet Wickell is the quilt goddess. if I didn't look up the right thing for you, just go to the about.com web site type in quilting. You can be on this site forever, an answer for any question-an addicting resource guide. Let me know how it goes. Fellow Wisconsin-ite (Hartford) :lol:

BillyTeeJohnFrancescasMom 01-31-2008 06:42 AM

I'd like to see the picture you want to quilt!!!!

bj 01-31-2008 06:52 AM

If you are going to put the islands on individual blocks, you might try some trapunto (sp) to add some dimension to them.

Flying_V_Goddess 01-31-2008 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Melissa
What a cool idea! I'd have to say that's my favorite Zelda game. I know there is some un-chartered territory in that game, but maybe you could quilt it from the path your boat has to make to get from island to island.

Isn't there also some nasty stuff that attacks you in the water? I'm thinking of a water spout or something like that. Maybe you could quilt in those little details too.

Just a thought.

Yay! Someone who gets the game I'm talking about!

Well, the thing with the island to island thing is that there's a certain point in the game where you can freely sail around...trying to map that out might get a little crazy. Unless you're talking about just doing the islands you HAVE to go to (not going to the extra islands, just the ones you need to go to in order to progress)....it might work, but I'd have to play through the entire game again to figure out the sailing routes...and I don't have the game (I used to, don't know what happened to it).

There's like 5 or 7 different maps telling you the locations of things like submarines, Big Octos (aka. giant squids), etc. In the stratdegy guide, they put all this onto a single map, which is great for reference, but too me it looks to busy to be made into an art quilt.

Flying_V_Goddess 01-31-2008 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by vicki reno
My advice would be not to worry about scale. The whole thing is make believe so just make it in such a way that is pleasing to you. It is an art quilt and as such there is nothing in any rule book in existence that says it has to be accurate. If it looks good to you, and you enjoy it, thats what matters. I for one missed the train that handed out creativity but have lots of opinions :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not trying to knock you down 'cause you do make a good point, but I think it'd look pleasing if it was accurate. I thought at one point about making the islands fill up a lot of the block, but then I'd end up with this continent looking thing. It just wouldn't be a "sea map" anymore. And it wouldn't fit in the story...was once the prosperous land of Hyrule, evil came (again), hero who stopped it before didn't come so people pleaded to the Gods for help, Gods answered by creating an endless rain and buried Hyrule underneath a vast sea and put some important people on mountain tops which became islands.

The Great Sea is HUGE and has 49 different islands and none of them are remotely close to each other....you probably spent about 1/3 of the game in a little sail boat getting from one island to the next. I just think to accurately depict that it has to be to scale (an island will fill up about 1/25 of a block :? ).