Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Back to square 1 on a project I thought finished. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/back-square-1-project-i-thought-finished-t272339.html)

petthefabric 11-16-2015 08:45 PM

Back to square 1 on a project I thought finished.

I've been working on a large project that involved many people and 34 quilts. After some experience, I finally decided to make kits with extra strips, in case I miscounted. Since I thought we were finished, I got rid of all the leftovers. Well one of the learning experiences has been sitting on someone's shelf and she's discovered, you got it!, she doesn't have enough strips. And wouldn't you know it's someone with NO stash. So now it's back to square one, cutting strips.

Since it's scrappy, I took the opportunity to make lemonade and clean out my scrap box. Had a big stack of strips for her, about 30 orphan blocks, a bag of little fabric scraps for stuffing in a dog bed, one less UFO (it's part of the dog bed). Also, I found a lot of those "Now, where did I put that". They all went back into the scrap box to be rediscovered the next time I clean out the scrap box.

Having recently had the carpet professionally cleaned (I had to straighten the room so he could find the floor), the carpet was "virgin" until my scrap box exploded. Now it feels like home, let the quilting begin!

Bree123 11-16-2015 10:09 PM

Aren't you generous! I would've given her instructions on what to cut & let her find her own scraps by either begging them off others or adding to her stash (gotta start sometime, right?). In any case, I'm sure all those quilts will be quite beautiful when they are finished.

ManiacQuilter2 11-17-2015 05:59 AM

I never get rid of leftovers until the quilt is done. Glad you were able to resolve that dilemma.

Sewnoma 11-17-2015 06:34 AM

Wait, wait, wait...did you say someone who is a quilter and has NO stash?? :shock: I didn't know such people existed!

I always tell people that I started quilting purely so I'd have an excuse to buy a bunch of fabric. I'm kidding....but only sort of. I love my stash! I feed and pet it regularly. LOL

petthefabric 11-18-2015 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7379157)
Wait, wait, wait...did you say someone who is a quilter and has NO stash?? :shock: I didn't know such people existed!

I always tell people that I started quilting purely so I'd have an excuse to buy a bunch of fabric. I'm kidding....but only sort of. I love my stash! I feed and pet it regularly. LOL

I feel the same way, hence my moniker. As soon as I had my first paycheck (in my teens) the stash was created.
That scrap box was pretty darn big, packed down and flowing over. And it held memories ("Oh! I remember this quilt.") as I dug through it. I took my time and enjoyed the process.

Boston1954 11-18-2015 05:47 PM

My sister gave me some cute Christmas fabric with mittens. One red and one green. I was afraid to cut them until I was really sure she did not need them back. About a week ago, she emailed me and said that she needed a bit of the green on because she'd run short. I am so glad that I did not put that into another project.

I know what you are feeling. I ran short (sort of) on a border once. I was able to find a bit to finish. It was only short by about two inches, but I felt a bit silly.

TerryOH 11-18-2015 06:48 PM

My problem is not that I am short of fabric. I keep getting a quilt back that needs repaired. As I clean my sewing room I plan to put all the pieces I find for that quilt in a storage bag and give to quilt owner to return for the next repair. I am not complaining as needing repaired means my brother uses and love his quilt.