Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backing fabric difference (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-fabric-difference-t34124.html)

pittsburgpam 01-14-2010 11:07 AM

Has anyone noticed if there is a difference in fabric weight whether you get normal yardage or the same fabric in wide width? I got a wide width in a Moda fabric once and I know that it isn't as thick as the same fabric that I got in a FQ of it.

I have a quilt design in mind that I want the top in whole cloth with applique on it. I found a beautiful damask in deep navy fabric that is the color I want in a wide width but I am a bit concerned about it being thin.

BellaBoo 01-14-2010 12:04 PM

I piece my backing so I buy regular widths so have no advice to offer.
I've noticed difference in Moda's quality in different lines. I think, hey! they must like this designer more then that one. LOL

pittsburgpam 01-14-2010 12:50 PM

Yeah, I've noticed that some are so smooth it's like silk, others are just normal cotton.

Thing is, I have fabric of the exact same collection that isn't wide and it's not the same. I want whole cloth so I need a wide one. I will contact them to see if they can tell me what the cloth is like.

feline fanatic 01-14-2010 12:53 PM

I got a wide batik from 1000's of bolts and it definitely felt thinner then normal batiks I get. Maybe they can send you a sample swatch? Just a 3" square. Can't hurt to ask.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-14-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I piece my backing so I buy regular widths so have no advice to offer.
I've noticed difference in Moda's quality in different lines. I think, hey! they must like this designer more then that one. LOL

I piece mine too.

littlehud 01-14-2010 06:13 PM

I've bought wide backing but I do it at the fabric store here so I can touch and feel it before I buy. There are certainly differences in them and I try to buy the better ones.

amma 01-14-2010 06:32 PM

One of the backing fabrics I bought was heavier and coarser feeling... I would be apt to buy in person or ask for a swatch.

ghostrider 01-14-2010 07:28 PM

A lot of the wide backings are thinner than regular 44" wide cottons. Don't know why. If you call someplace for samples, be sure to ask them the size they send. It can be hard to tell from a one inch square what several yards will feel like!

Margie 01-14-2010 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Yeah, I've noticed that some are so smooth it's like silk, others are just normal cotton.

Thing is, I have fabric of the exact same collection that isn't wide and it's not the same. I want whole cloth so I need a wide one. I will contact them to see if they can tell me what the cloth is like.

Maybe you could ask them for a sample so you can see if it is what you want.

Margie

CRH 01-14-2010 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by amma
One of the backing fabrics I bought was heavier and coarser feeling... I would be apt to buy in person or ask for a swatch.

I had this same experience. A name brand fabric (Benartex) is so coarse I hate to use it. Not smooth or silky at all!! I'll never buy wide backing again unless I can FEEL it!!!!