Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bali Pops Laundry Experiment & Results (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bali-pops-laundry-experiment-results-t45855.html)

weezie 05-14-2010 11:14 AM

Perhaps the following info. will be useful to some of you.

We've discussed issues with the Bali Pop packs of 2-1/2"-wide strips. One of those issues is fabric washing/bleeding. I made the 5-braid-strip French braid with unwashed Bali Pops. Because they weren't pre-washed, I also did not pre-wash the dark outer border. This was the first quilt top I've ever made without pre-washing; however, there's no way I would sandwich and quilt an unwashed quilt that has dark colors in it, so here is what I did:

I need a piece of muslin for the box spring cover part of a bed skirt I'm going to make soon, so I cut the bed skirt muslin piece extra large ... as large as the Fr. braid quilt top. I then machine basted it all the way around the edges to the wrong side of the FB top, thereby sealing in all the seam allowances to prevent a loose thread stampede in my washing machine. I then washed it on "color" setting with 3 Shout color catcher sheets that were in a mesh bag.

The results: other than being really wrinkled, the quilt top looks fine, the Shout sheets are stained and the muslin is no longer snow white ... it is kind of off-white, but it is uniform with no splotches and will still be used for the bed skirt.

So, although I have a huge pressing job to do now on the quilt top, I am so relieved that it is not ruined.

Quilter7x 05-14-2010 11:18 AM

Wow, that was very clever! Those Shout Color Catchers are great! And I love your idea of using the muslin for the bed skirt.

Rebecca VLQ 05-14-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
P thereby sealing in all the seam allowances to prevent a loose thread stampede in my washing machine.

This made me LOL! :D

Thanks for the tip...you're so smart!

quiltluvr 05-14-2010 12:00 PM

WHEW!!!! Potential disaster avoided thanks to your creative thinking. Great tip to pass along!

KathyKat 05-14-2010 01:03 PM

I've never heard of the Shout color catchers. Where do you buy them? I just bought fabrics in yellows, oranges and reds for my DD. I think I should pre-wsah the darker colors to make sure they don't bleed on the rest of the quilt.

littlehud 05-14-2010 01:11 PM

What a great idea. I never would have thought of that.

weezie 05-14-2010 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by KathyKat
I've never heard of the Shout color catchers. Where do you buy them? I just bought fabrics in yellows, oranges and reds for my DD. I think I should pre-wsah the darker colors to make sure they don't bleed on the rest of the quilt.

I bought mine in Walmart a week or 2 ago. However, today when I was looking for a mesh bag (as per Shout front loading machine instructions), I didn't see any Shout color catcher on the shelf. I assume they were just out of them temporarily. I also assume, although I haven't looked anywhere else, that most stores that sell a variety of laundry supplies would have the Shout sheets.

Rachelcb80 05-14-2010 01:50 PM

Great thinking ahead! Glad your top is still in great condition and ready to quilt!

As far as where to buy the color catchers, I got mine at the regular grocery store in the same aisle as the detergent and other laundry stuff.

quilterj 05-14-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by weezie

Originally Posted by KathyKat

I bought mine in Walmart a week or 2 ago. However, today when I was looking for a mesh bag (as per Shout front loading machine instructions), I didn't see any Shout color catcher on the shelf. I assume they were just out of them temporarily. I also assume, although I haven't looked anywhere else, that most stores that sell a variety of laundry supplies would have the Shout sheets.

The Shout sheets you will find in the laundry area and the mesh bag you will find in where they have the irons and household things.

amma 05-14-2010 07:37 PM

Thank you for giving us this great tip :D:D:D