Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basement finish - question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basement-finish-question-t199383.html)

Rosie the "Ripper" 09-02-2012 01:29 PM

Basement finish - question

I am finally having my basement finished after using it for my sewing area for five years. I have always had an area rug under my sewing table, but now I am having a vinyl floor put down. I don't know whether to get rid of the area rug or keep it to put back under my table. My chair is on rollers, so it does "hug" the rug and not roll around while I sew, but I do have to vacuum often because of the threads and lint. What would you do? I am trying to get rid of things that I won't be using since I have to clear the area for the workmen to start. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tartan 09-02-2012 01:51 PM

I think it will depend on what floor you are putting down. If it is something that the rolling wheels will mark, you may want to use your rug. I know that a smooth floor is easier to keep clean but a rug helps to keep the thread and fluffies from tracking into other rooms.

Deborahlees 09-02-2012 01:59 PM

I have hardwood floors in my sewing studio....no rug....and can roll around to my hearts content....use a swifter to keep control of the dust and threads and such......like the smooth floor better than carpet which I used to have.....vacuum used to really inhale the threads badly on the rollers, with the swifter don't have that problem.....with a smooth floor is easier to see "lost pins" and such also.....

nygal 09-02-2012 02:10 PM

I also had hard wood floors and I love how my chair rolls around. I roll over to my pressing area and I roll to the phone etc.

GrannieAnnie 09-02-2012 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rosie the "Ripper" (Post 5486226)
I am finally having my basement finished after using it for my sewing area for five years. I have always had an area rug under my sewing table, but now I am having a vinyl floor put down. I don't know whether to get rid of the area rug or keep it to put back under my table. My chair is on rollers, so it does "hug" the rug and not roll around while I sew, but I do have to vacuum often because of the threads and lint. What would you do? I am trying to get rid of things that I won't be using since I have to clear the area for the workmen to start. Thanks for your thoughts.

I hate rugs and carpets, so my choice would be do without. However, I do see some benefit in keeping your chair from rolling around. Maybe just a 4' x 4' piece of closely woven carpet------like an industrial carpet------for under your chair? Might relieve strain on your vinyl flooring, too.

decky 09-02-2012 03:39 PM

I have carpet in my basement sewing room to help keep the room warmer.

Pat in MN

Debbie C 09-02-2012 03:43 PM

My sewing room is in the basement which is completely finished. My floor is 12" porcelain tiles over the original cement floor. I love being able to roll wherever my chair takes me - no rugs - If it gets cool down there, I plug in my Eden Pure quartz heater and I'm 'oh-so-cozy" in the wintertime.

MamaBear61 09-02-2012 04:02 PM

I have hardwood in my sewing area, but I did find that the floor was showing some wear in front of my machines so I got a rubber type floor mat (like you might see in front of a shop workbench) to put in that area to help save the finish on the floor. I find that it vaccuums almost as easily as the hardwood and it would work as an insulator on a concrete floor too.

5moose 09-02-2012 04:14 PM

I too have a basement sewing room. I took out my carpeting(I'm a diabetic and am terrified of stepping on a pin) and had vinyl floor put down and I love it. I've never looked back. So easy for the chair to roll from machine to ironing board.

Jingle 09-02-2012 04:51 PM

I don't think rolling around on hardwood floors would be good for them. Redoing them would not be very much fun. Just sayin.