Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   basic emboridery machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basic-emboridery-machines-t104036.html)

Wendys Quilts 03-01-2011 05:39 AM

I am researching emboridery machines. I really only want to use it for making labels for my quilts I am making. Does anyone have any suggestions for with ones that are only just basic? I like Brother machines and dont know much about other brands. I really dont want to pay a whole lot for one either, if I am only going to use it for labels. I wouldnt mind a used one either.

Thanks for information.

dosnanas 03-01-2011 05:45 AM

I have a Brother 6800 that I purchased from Costco for under $400 and I love it - having so much fun even tho' it is a basic embroidery machine. Unlimited designs, 4x4 inches. Should be perfect for labels and great for general sewing also. Also came with a good selection of thread, basic colors. You may find you will go beyond labels.

Aileend 03-01-2011 06:16 AM

I have a singer xl6000 oh my it was the top of the line when i bought it. most machines would only rotate a pic 25 degrees or maybe less well the singer rotated 1 degree, also it has differant ways of getting new embroideries to the machine smartcard, and directly to the computor hookup, i think i bought it back in 2006 so of course all the machines built since then are better, but i believe that my singer could still hold a candle to even the best, whichever that maybe....oh i had bought a husquvarna viking designer 2 that i returned because the singer did more.... write down the most important features you want, one of them should be hoop size, my inlaws bought a machine and it came with the smallest of hoops ....good luck!

featherweight 03-01-2011 06:20 AM

I would choose the inexpensive model from Brother. I find them very user friendly and easy to use. 4x4 hoop should do for your labels.

jdiane318 03-01-2011 06:23 AM

I have the Janome 350E. I started with a basic brother sewing/embroidery machine, and within one week knew that I wanted to do more than basic. I also didn't like the combo. You can make your own quilt labels, embellish and highlight anything you want to do.

Wendys Quilts 03-01-2011 06:36 AM

I was wondering if the 4 x 4 hoop would do labels!

When a description says "Monograming", does that mean just 1 letter, or could you use more then 1 letter like "Made By" ?

CarrieAnne 03-01-2011 06:52 AM

I have the Brother SE350, I am just learning on it, but its really easy to use.
I cant hook it up to the internet, but great for a starter machine!

litacats 03-01-2011 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts

When a description says "Monograming", does that mean just 1 letter, or could you use more then 1 letter like "Made By" ?

I bought a huskvana viking not sure if it was a emerald or saphire but it did the alphabet in 2 types of fonts and it didn't cost an arm or a leg, I loved that machine for the short time I had it, and used it every day and it was fast but you could also slid a control to reduce the speed. I did love that machine RIP you poor pile of ashes along with my Janome and long bed, one day soon I will replace you.

DebbyT 03-01-2011 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts

I use the brother SE-350 with the 4x4 hoop. You have the option of 3 letter sizes. The picture attached shows the smallest size option. I think I had room for 1 more line without moving the fabric. -- Check e-bay for used machines and compare to Walmart or Costco. I think Walmart will ship to store for no charge. My Mom and sister got theirs from e-bay.

Wendys Quilts 03-01-2011 11:32 AM

I have looked at the Brother SE-350,but wasnt sure that I could fit a lot on it.

Debby, thanks for the photo! That does help with having a visual. Very Nice! :)