Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting with fusible interfacing ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-fusible-interfacing-t157193.html)

wraez 10-01-2011 09:20 AM

Have any of you done this before?

I'm watching Sewing with Nancy, and she is showing how to use a fusible .. for instance, heat n bond lite, transweb or any similar that has paper on one side and fusible on the other. She puts just a bit, maybe an inch worth of fusible, and fuses it down about a fist apart, on both the top of the batt and on the fabric on the bottom (probably not explaining this right, but I think you know what I mean) then she removes the paper, presses all over with a hot iron and voila ... it is fuse basted! She is showing it on a small project but I can see how this would work great on lap quilts etc.

Wow what a great idea.

I've never pin basted a quilt. I was taught to use spray baste and that is how I've always done it. I can't wait to try it with fusible interfacing. I have lots of it cuz I buy it when it is 50% off at Joanns, usually around holidays, and use it all the time when creating fabric postcards. I think it would be tremendously less expensive than a can of spray baste.

So if you have done it, please explain your experience. If you haven't b4, do you think you will give it a try?

GreatStarter 10-01-2011 09:24 AM

Wow, I have never heard of it but it sounds like a great idea. Can't wait to try it out, basting is the hardest part of quilting in my opinion.
Thanks for sharing.
Kat

carrot 10-01-2011 09:30 AM

I saw that program also. I have not tried it yet but thought it looked like a good idea- if you do it please let us know who it worked :D

Lori S 10-01-2011 09:32 AM

I do it all the time for bindings as well as other stuff. Works well. One note : heat and bond lite stains some batiks ( found out the hard way) .
I hate pinning and use fusibles ALOT in place of pins on some parts of projects.
I found wonder under is the easiest to sew through, heat and bond lite is a bit stiff ( that why I use it only for bindings, that I will machine sew) . Steam a seam is a great bond but is a bit stiff and can be harder to sew through.

wraez 10-01-2011 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I do it all the time for bindings as well as other stuff. Works well. One note : heat and bond lite stains some batiks ( found out the hard way) .
I hate pinning and use fusibles ALOT in place of pins on some parts of projects.
I found wonder under is the easiest to sew through, heat and bond lite is a bit stiff ( that why I use it only for bindings, that I will machine sew) . Steam a seam is a great bond but is a bit stiff and can be harder to sew through.

Thanks Lori for your input!

I also have wonder-under but don't use it often, guess it is cuz my last batch I was challenged with the paper releasing before I even got to cut it for use... maybe it was an old piece of yardage. I'll have to look at my transweb, it probably is lighter as is the wonder-under.

purrfectquilts 10-01-2011 12:17 PM

I have not checked this out yet, but I am thinking she is using either a cotton batting or warm and natural etc. If you pressed a poly batting, you would flatten all the loft or maybe even melt the batting it seems.

sherian 10-01-2011 12:23 PM

In my old days of sewing we used stich witch, it on a roll like tape would be, has anyone used it for application or
anything. It seams thin enough.

wraez 10-01-2011 01:33 PM

No probs for me, I don't use poly batting ... just warm and natural or even flannel.

PaperPrincess 10-01-2011 04:51 PM

Don't you get little 'dimples' where you put the fusible pieces? I can see fusing/spray basting the whole thing, but it seems to me that you would be able to discern where the fusible was used and where it wasn't...

purrfectquilts 10-02-2011 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Don't you get little 'dimples' where you put the fusible pieces? I can see fusing/spray basting the whole thing, but it seems to me that you would be able to discern where the fusible was used and where it wasn't...

I wondered that too. Thanks for asking.