Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting with glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-glue-t205808.html)

mom2boyz 11-12-2012 05:08 PM

Basting with glue

I have been reading threads about the pros & cons of this method. I would like to try it on a small quilt. I bought Elmer's Washable, no run School Glue. Is this the right one? I just want to be sure before I begin. I know it is supposed to be School Glue, but now I am confusing myself - does washable mean it will wash out or an article is safe to wash and will stay glued together. Someone please set me straight - thanks !!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-12-2012 05:20 PM

Washable means it will wash out. Plain old white Elmer's like we used in grade school. It's just made of starch so it won't hurt a thing.

EllieGirl 11-12-2012 05:23 PM

I've used the Elmer's Spray Adhesive and another brand I bought at Jo Ann's specifically for quilting. Both work well but from posts I've read the Elmer's may be a problem once washed. Spray basting is so much easier than the pinning!

Sunnye 11-12-2012 05:30 PM

I use glue sticks for basting down a small areas, use it for holding binding in place. I like this because I don't accidentally spill out a huge amount.

Neesie 11-12-2012 05:34 PM

I use the white Elmer's School Glue. Just make sure it says "School" glue.

Prism99 11-12-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz (Post 5652695)
I have been reading threads about the pros & cons of this method. I would like to try it on a small quilt. I bought Elmer's Washable, no run School Glue. Is this the right one?

That's the right one. I just brought mine over to the computer and it says exactly what you wrote. This is what I use to glue-pin bindings (using my iron). Some people also use it to baste the quilt sandwich, drizzling it on in thin lines, but I haven't tried it that way.

The glue washes out completely. You use it to hold things together until you can sew it together with thread. Thread holds everything together when the glue washes out.

Ironing dries the glue quickly, which is why I iron when using it to glue down binding before sewing. When using it to baste a quilt sandwich together, most people just let it dry naturally overnight. On a small quilt, you would baste the backing and batting together, let dry naturally, then glue the batting and top together and allow to dry. Or, if you are ambitious, you can iron to make it dry faster.

Veronica 11-12-2012 07:38 PM

It's the right glue.
I use it for bindings and also pieceing blocks.
No need for pins, just add a little glue and set with an iron.
Works great when sewing long strips together.

mom2boyz 11-12-2012 10:06 PM

Thanks everyone for confirming what I thought was correct. I'm anxious to try it as I'm tired of pinning and don't have a good - dry - accessible spot for spraying. I love this board and all the kind, generous and helpful people on it.

Stitchnripper 11-13-2012 04:43 AM

I have recently switched to basting with Elmer's School Glue and am very happy with it. I drizzle a grid on the batting and smooth the backing out, let dry, and then do same with top. So far it hasn't gummed up any needles and seems to wash out completely. Good luck with it.

Buckeye Rose 11-13-2012 04:52 AM

just one little hint...spread the glue in thin lines onto the batting and smooth the fabric on top....that way you can see that you will have no wrinkles or puckers!....just did my first quilt sandwich that way and am quilting now.....love how easy and how secure it keeps the sandwich....will never pin or spray baste again!