Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting pins - do they leave holes in the quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-pins-do-they-leave-holes-quilt-t103511.html)

winterpromise31 02-27-2011 08:43 AM

Hopefully it's ok that I'm asking several questions this weekend! I'm anxious to finish my quilt but afraid that I'm putting holes in it.

I spray basted the quilt but it's not staying basted along the edges, so I thought I would pin it until I can get the quilt tied. I put in several pins and then decided to move one. When I pulled the pin out, I was rather surprised at the hole it left. Will that be permanent or will it disappear after washing it?

I have Prym Creative brass basting pins bought from Walmart. They are labeled Size: 3 - 2" 51mm. Do I need smaller basting pins or should I not worry about the holes? I know I'm too much of a perfectionist for my own good but this is a gift!

Thank you!
Cassandra

Prism99 02-27-2011 08:52 AM

The holes will disappear with washing. However, I would suggest investing in much smaller pins. Mine are about 1/2" long brass pins (brass doesn't rust, just in case one of my UFOs lands in the lap of a great-grandchild many decades from now). The pins are too old for me to remember the brand. I think I bought not the very smallest size, but the second to smallest. Years ago this was the size pin recommended in the quilting books I was reading. This size has been big enough for all of the battings I have used over the years, but I never did use a high-loft poly. Would think even that one would work, but not sure.

littlehud 02-27-2011 09:06 AM

The holes should disappear after you wash it. I have the same problems with my edges when I use spray basting so I machine baste around the edges.

winterpromise31 02-27-2011 09:24 AM

Ok, thank you! I will find some smaller basting pins and then not worry about the holes.

Prism99 02-27-2011 09:26 AM

The smaller pins make smaller holes because they are thinner. Also, because they are thinner, they tend to be easier to slide into the sandwich.

A 02-27-2011 10:18 AM

AT most major fabric stores, you can find quilting pins that have a slight bend to them. Small, sharp, made just for the purpose of quilting. I ONLY use warm and natural batting since it is 100% cotton, is great & almost 'flat' - not a huge fluff in it. The pins are put in as you have a friend help you 'sandwich, pull, straighten, pat it with love, and then pin. Take a stroll down the quilting aisle - don't be afraid to ask questions of someone who is either a quilting shop clerk, nor someone who is a oldie quilting maker. Read all you can - library books help a lot! Most of all sing a lil'song, do a lil' dance as you sew along, making 'love' for someone to smile, think of you and just the feeling of 'ahhh!' Sorry that I'm so 'windy!'

donnajean 02-27-2011 10:37 AM

I have used the brass pins in all my quilts & never had a problem with holes remaining. Not sure of the size at the moment, but I know they are bigger than 1". However, my quilts were mostly made with higher quality fabrics & I steam press my quilts after quilting. I don't know about the cheaper Walmart, JoAnn's fabric that seems to be of lesser quality now a day.

susie-susie-susie 02-27-2011 03:48 PM

I have found that the bigger pins are harder to put into the quilt. I have tons of the quilters pins that have a small bend in them and find that they are easier to put in and close. I don't use pins too much any more as I love love spray basting.
Sue

QultingaddictUK 02-27-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I have found that the bigger pins are harder to put into the quilt. I have tons of the quilters pins that have a small bend in them and find that they are easier to put in and close. I don't use pins too much any more as I love love spray basting.
Sue

I agree I put just a few just around the borders to help keep it all together, and I also find that I often need to re-spray by the time I get to my borders. BTW I use whatever safety pins I have to hand :twisted:

suern3 02-27-2011 04:12 PM

I too was concerned about the holes that the basting pins made in my quilts. I use the curved ones that are brass, I think. But once I was finished with the FMQ and the binding, somehow the pin holes were gone. It must have been all the squishing and pushing while quilting:) I don't use spray baste, don't like to use sprays.