Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batik Flannel fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batik-flannel-fabric-t37532.html)

postal packin' mama 02-21-2010 08:14 AM

Has anyone tried batik flannel? If so, how was it for working with and did it hold up well? I'd like to try it for a baby quilt.

Honey 02-21-2010 10:50 AM

I have used batik flannel from my lqs for pjs for my dgs's. It worked up beautifully. Some of those pjs are now 6 years old, and have been passed down, but they are still holding up, a little faded, but very soft. I have never bought it anywhere but my lqs, so I don't know how others are.

postal packin' mama 02-21-2010 11:36 AM

Thank you for the input. I was hestitant to buy a bunch for a quilt without having seen any feedback on it. Also I don't know much about flannel in general except that probably the higher priced, thicker ones would remain soft longer, logically - ? Gosh, they're not cheap, either

Honey 02-21-2010 11:47 AM

Yes, they do. Also, don't forget to prewash. I don't generally, but flannel is different, it will shrink some. I wash mine on a gentler cycle then dry. Some people run a baisting stitch along the edges to prevent lots of strings. Yes, it is expensive from a lqs, but flannel is one thing I WILL NOT buy cheaper. You can tell by the feel what is really good and what isn't. I have bought flannel from fabric chains and had it shred after a few washings. To bad you don't live around here, my lqs has some adorable flannels for baby quilts.

postal packin' mama 02-21-2010 09:03 PM

Again, thanks for the helpful info. Much better than learning it the hard way! I'm very new to this quilting addiction (I've got it bad, too) so I really appreciate this board. I've learned SO much. Your vouching for those pj's made from batik flannel lasting so well is good to know. Should be good for a baby quilt.

quiltingnonie 02-21-2010 09:16 PM

I agree 100% with "Honey" - purchase only high quality flannel. I had some real disappointments with flannel from JA's. It totally was NOT worth the frustrations. Also prewashing flannel is a MUST. Since I am a batik lover, would love to see your quilt. I have yet to venture into batik flannels....

postal packin' mama 02-21-2010 09:37 PM

Yes, I was hoping batik flannel would kind of be the best of both worlds~! I'm going to a big Sewing Expo in a few days so was looking online re:price ranges so I'll have some idea if the show prices are in the ballpark. The SewBatik.com site has some attractive batik flannels for $5.50 for half yard pieces. Will check some other sites too.

Question: they say their batik flannel is brushed on both sides -- that sounds like it'd be a good thing, right?

(probably silly question but I've never done anything in flannel and am very new to this quilting. Love it!)

quiltingnonie 02-22-2010 05:51 AM

Yes, that is a good thing....it will feel heavier, and have a softer "hand". If you take a piece of cheap flannel, you can hold it up to the light and actually see through it! A favorite website of mine for batiks is Hancock's of Paducah--not to be confused with Hancock Fabrics. I LOVE their huge selection of batiks, altho haven't purchased any flannels from them.
Have fun @ Expo!