Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batiks - Telling Front From Back (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batiks-telling-front-back-t216771.html)

Barb_MO 03-19-2013 09:00 AM

I use whatever side the pattern looks most interesting to me. right or wrong, that what I do.

quiltstringz 03-19-2013 09:02 AM

I agree, most of the time there is no real difference. There are a few that after they are dyed have an additional design printed on the front, usually in a metallic or something. Otherwise since on most they are shaded and colors change throughout it wouldn't make a difference.

LAQUITA 03-19-2013 09:16 AM

Well we just won't tell the 'batik police'. That WE can't see the difference. Lol. :)

ghostrider 03-19-2013 09:16 AM

Batiks aren't 'printed', they're immersion dyed. The design results from the wax resist (called that because it resists the dye) applied to one side. The side that had the wax on it could probably be called the 'right' side, but the only difference is that sometimes the design edges appear sharper/cleaner on that side.

For most quilts (including Tropical Nights :) ), you can just use whatever side you like best for any particular block and not worry about whether you've flipped some over ot not. Tell your sister (politely and with a smile) that it's your quilt, so your rules.

mom-6 03-19-2013 10:42 AM

I've noticed that there is sometimes a slight difference between the two sides on batik fabric. If there is I pick the one I want to use as I stitch each seam. Most times it is not enough to matter.

irishrose 03-19-2013 11:26 AM

Sometimes there a slight variation in clarity of the edges. I usually use that as the right side. I can tell by the smoothness of the surface on most batiks, but there just isn't enough difference to worry about.

Boston1954 03-19-2013 01:24 PM

My goodness, you're right. I did pay for both sides. That put a smile on my face. Well, I feel better now that several have said it does not matter to them either.

ckcowl 03-19-2013 01:44 PM

it really doesn't matter- even if there is a slight difference- you can use which ever side you like best---sometimes one side will be a little more vibrant than the other- but batiks are not printed fabrics- they are dyed-so both sides are beautiful and very close to the same-
i tend to use which ever side i want/like with every fabric- i pay for both sides-no reason not to use both if the back side works better for my project than the (right side) i use it- sometimes that muted/washed out color is just right. but true batiks like hand dyed fabrics can be used with no noticable difference....
tell your sister---there is no (Right or Wrong) only different-

Shazeeda 03-19-2013 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn (Post 5938988)
Hard to tell on lots of them ~ and hey I paid for both sides!

Ha! That made me LOL :D Brilliant!

Nammie to 7 03-19-2013 02:29 PM

I use the "wrong" side of other fabrics as well - sometimes the pattern isn't as muted as I would like it so I will use the backside as the front. Works for me.