Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Battery Operated Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/battery-operated-sewing-machine-t111435.html)

yolanda 03-28-2011 07:42 AM

I am going camping and am considering bringing along one of those inexpensive battery operated sewing machines to do some piecing. Has anyone used one? Have any recommendations?

icon17 03-28-2011 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by yolanda
I am going camping and am considering bringing along one of those inexpensive battery operated sewing machines to do some piecing. Has anyone used one? Have any recommendations?

Hi, I want you to know I just got chastised, I read your post and said to my other 1/2 'Here's a real addict' and then he reminded ME I had taken My FW on vacation TOO! 'Yah, but I had Electricty! I was picturing you in a pup tent
:lol: I want to Apologize, I live in a 'Glass' house :lol: And your Quilt will Be wonderful! 8-)

yolanda 03-28-2011 08:05 AM

:-) yes yes i am a true addict i admit it. i am going to the desert where besides hiking and stargazing there is not much to do and my BF likes to hang out at the campsite - so i usually read and play guitar but hey i am behind on my piecing!

Originally Posted by icon17

Hi, I want you to know I just got chastised, I read your post and said to my other 1/2 'Here's a real addict' and then he reminded ME I had taken My FW on vacation TOO! 'Yah, but I had Electricty! I was picturing you in a pup tent
:lol: I want to Apologize, I live in a 'Glass' house :lol: And your Quilt will Be wonderful! 8-)

yolanda 03-28-2011 08:07 AM

PS.. of all places this board is where i thought for sure i'd find someone whos' thought of this or who could give me suggestions - i am taking the silence to suggest i do need some help ... :-) "Hi my name is Yolanda and I am addicted to making quilts..." ;-)

irishrose 03-28-2011 08:10 AM

Quilters on the vintage site love handcranks for camping. I can't speak from experience, but it'd sew a better seam if you can find one.

I'd purchase the battery operated one and unpack it carefully and try it out. You don't want to compromise your quilt with less than good seams. If it does well, then I'd go for it.

nana katie 03-28-2011 08:14 AM

Take along a lot of batteries .

ewecansew 03-28-2011 08:24 AM

Are you thinking of the little hand -operated one? Keep your money in your jeans.

yolanda 03-28-2011 08:25 AM

I didn't think of a handcrank - very nice! Actually I feel silly posting this and have decided to learn to crochet or bring along a swedish weave project I have waiting in a closet ;-)

quiltsRfun 03-28-2011 08:47 AM

I didn't think of a handcrank - very nice! Actually I feel silly posting this and have decided to learn to crochet or bring along a swedish weave project I have waiting in a closet ;-)

How about a hand piecing project?

Pat M. 03-28-2011 08:52 AM

I bought one for my GD and we tried it out and then took it back to the store. Really bad stitches. I have been looking for a hand crank one to take camping.