Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-question-t205847.html)

wilson 11-13-2012 05:53 AM

batting question

I am wondering what the main difference is between the Hobbs 80/20 and Warm and Natural? does one shrink more than the other? Is one warmer than the other? Is one lighter weight in the quilt than the other? Does one have to be quilted heavier than the other? What are your experiences between the two and preferences ? thanks for any opinions.

Tashana 11-13-2012 06:09 AM

Hobbs 80/20 is 80% cotton and 20% poly ( I think sice I never used it). Warm and Natural is 100% cotton, and I am in love with it. Somebody who uses both types will be able to give you more info. My quilting is rather dense, so I pretty much ignore manufacturer's suggestions.

Jingle 11-13-2012 06:19 AM

I use poly batting and quilt with a large stipple. I have used warm and natural, it holds together very well while quilting. I have given those away and don't know how they hold up.

DebbE 11-13-2012 06:56 AM

I use Warm & Natural pretty much exclusively -- I'm a more traditional quilter and like the way my quilts look after washing....wrinkly. If you like the slightly more puffy look and not quite so much shrinkage, I'd go with the other. Both are great products -- depends of what you like after washing. I don't pay much attention to how far to quilt between as I tend to quilt closer anyway, but you need to be aware of what the package says. I just quilt closer because I like how it looks and I like insurance!

quiltstringz 11-13-2012 07:00 AM

I like both, feel that Hobbs gives a little lighter feel to the weight of quilt. Not all Warm and Natural is 100% cotton a lot of it (most of what you get off the roll at Joanns) is also about 80/20.

cowpie2 11-13-2012 07:12 AM

I think the biggest difference is the Hobbs 80/20 does not have a scrim in it and the Warm & Natural does. If you are hand-quilting a scrim makes life a bit more difficult. Otherwise, I've done quilts using both and like both equally well. A preference for the Hobbs 80/20 when I plan to handquilt as it needles easier for me.

pumpkinpatchquilter 11-13-2012 07:13 AM

Warm and Natural is a little more stretchy too - I like it best for hand quilting. I generally use Warm and White for machine quilting, it's got a bit more body and stiffness but not in a way that makes your quilt stiff or anything. You just have to feel it I guess to understand! My favorite for machine quilting is Hobbs 80/20 but it's pricey so I buy it on sale or use the Warm and White.

pumpkinpatchquilter 11-13-2012 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by cowpie2 (Post 5653744)
I think the biggest difference is the Hobbs 80/20 does not have a scrim in it and the Warm & Natural does. If you are hand-quilting a scrim makes life a bit more difficult. Otherwise, I've done quilts using both and like both equally well. A preference for the Hobbs 80/20 when I plan to handquilt as it needles easier for me.

Isn't that funny? Now see, to me this is just an example of how everyone is different! :) You have to just try it and decide what works for you! ;)

DebraK 11-13-2012 08:21 AM

True. I noticed the label yesterday. When did this change?

Scissor Queen 11-13-2012 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by wilson (Post 5653505)
I am wondering what the main difference is between the Hobbs 80/20 and Warm and Natural? does one shrink more than the other? Is one warmer than the other? Is one lighter weight in the quilt than the other? Does one have to be quilted heavier than the other? What are your experiences between the two and preferences ? thanks for any opinions.

The biggest difference is W&N has a scrim and the Hobbs 80/20 does not. The scrim will make the quilt stiffer after it's quilted. Another difference is the W&N is needle punched thru the scrim and it has a firmer, flatter appearance. The Hobbs has a tiny bit of loft to it and will give your quilting a bit of definition.