Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-question-t93686.html)

sassyquilter 01-25-2011 07:09 AM

I just finished a quilt for my Son and although he loves it He so loves the feel of the quilts I use to do where I hand quilted and used Mountain Mist batting. This one is free motion done on my frame. Is there a batting out there that will not feel so stiff after quilted. I know that the more quilting the stiffer it seems to feel. I use Warn and Natural and it works great with my Viking Mega Quilter and frame and have never used anything different....any suggestions...
Thanks

Scissor Queen 01-25-2011 07:13 AM

Practically any batting is softer than W&N after being quilted. Hobbs Heirloom and Quilter's Dream both have really nice soft drape after they're quilted.

sassyquilter 01-25-2011 07:23 AM

I have not tried Hobbs but I know a Lady who does Longarm uses it. And am not familiar with the other at all but I will look for both and the "drape" is what I am after. Thanks

quiltmaker 01-25-2011 09:55 AM

I only use Quilter's Dream cotton and wool batting. Although they do have a variety of other choices.

amma 01-25-2011 01:35 PM

It seems to me, that no matter what batting you choose, unless you do a large meandering pattern or use an awfully long stitch, it will feel denser and have less drape when quilted with feathers and some of the other more dense designs on a machine. I love the look, but for a cuddly quilt, I still think less is more. JMHO :D:D:D

Scissor Queen 01-25-2011 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by amma
It seems to me, that no matter what batting you choose, unless you do a large meandering pattern or use an awfully long stitch, it will feel denser and have less drape when quilted with feathers and some of the other more dense designs on a machine. I love the look, but for a cuddly quilt, I still think less is more. JMHO :D:D:D

There are battings that have nice drape even when quilted fairly close. Quilter's Dream Request weight cotton is one and the wool battings stay fairly soft too.

Sadiemae 01-25-2011 08:33 PM

I agree.

jaciqltznok 01-25-2011 08:46 PM

yes in deedy!