Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting scissors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-scissors-t203339.html)

gollytwo 10-16-2012 10:59 AM

I just wanted a pair the moment I saw them

BellaBoo 10-16-2012 02:38 PM

I paid more then $35 so that is a great price for them. I've had mine for several years and I would buy them again.

ckcowl 10-16-2012 02:54 PM

like many of the quilting (gadgets) on the market- they are very useful/wonderful for those who choose to spend the money & try them out- for some they just seem like- what i use now works fine....
if you cut alot of batting-they are well worth the money! if you only occassionally cut batting then, maybe they would not get used very often- I don't think $35 is at all unreasonable for new scissors- since i have little embroidery shears that cost more than that- I purchase batting by the bolt & used to struggle with rotory cutters, sewing scissors, ect...all of which did (work) but the batting scissors are a dream come true in my world!
just like i paper pieced for years without a 1/4" ruler- finally got one (someone gave me one as a gift) and now i wonder why i waited so long to spend that $7! i love it & love paper piecing all the more because of it...it was not a necessity- but it sure makes the job more pleasurable.
the batting scissors don't catch on the bottom of the batting- or snag it- i'm no longer dulling my rotory blades on batting...well worth the money :)

nativetexan 10-16-2012 03:28 PM

hey, the harbor freight ones look great. I too use a cheap pair of scissors to cut batting. perhaps better ones would be important to a long arm quilter who might buy batting by the rolls. but not for me.

hcarpanini 10-16-2012 03:41 PM

I have the Handi Quilter batting scissors and absolutely love them!!! It makes cutting batting like butter. The extra length makes it faster too!

lfletcher 10-17-2012 04:13 AM

My friend talked me into getting Linda Taylor's batting scissors and I have been thanking her ever since.

chuckbere15 10-18-2012 11:27 PM

I am going to pass on these at that price. I'm beginning to think that the companies that market items believe we, quilters, are willing to pay high prices for our gadgets. $35 for a pair of scissors to cut batting is extremely high. I'll stick to my rotary cutter and ruler.

luvstoquilt301 10-19-2012 04:27 AM

I was given the Handquilters ones and really like them. I would not have bought them however. A regular big pair of scissors worked fine before I had these. If money is not an issue---buy them.

quiltinghere 10-19-2012 04:45 AM

Is it the length of the blade or the position of the handles or a combination of both that make it 'easier' to cut batting?

I do not have a pair and have never tried them. Because I longarm quilt, I use my 'not too sharp any more' fabric scissors to cut batting from bolts and square up one side with a ruler and rotary cutter. Every time I cut with scissors I think about Batting Scissors...but within 1 minute I'm done and never think about Batting Scissors again.

I agree gadgets are addicting, manufacturers know that and think we'll pay...until we find it at the hardware store for less! Hahaha! Love the hardware stores for quilting items!

BellaBoo 10-19-2012 06:56 AM

A friend came over this morning to cut batting squares and used my batting scissors. She raved with every cut how great they were. She had me order her a pair online (I get free shipping) before she left and then called me and said order her mom a pair too.