Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-t214454.html)

craftycancer 02-21-2013 12:42 PM

Batting

Does anyone know which batting is the best; I tried the Walmart brand morning glory (high & low) loft and the poly-fil batting. My first quilt with the morning glory shrunk to almost the size of a napkin. (maybe not a napkin but there was a lot og shrinkage) Just want to know if there is one better?

alleyoop1 02-21-2013 01:12 PM

I always use Warm and Natural which is available at Joann. And with their coupons, the price isn't so bad.

quiltstringz 02-21-2013 01:17 PM

I also like Hobbs 80/20

isewman 02-21-2013 01:44 PM

I've used quilters Dream Poly. I get it from hancocks from Paducah. It has different thing on the cover it does. #1No prewashing.colorfast--#2washed & dried. Low/no shrinkage. I got a box of 6, not to long ago, and the cost was a little over $100.00.. I've always had luck with this batting. Don-isewman

ckcowl 02-21-2013 01:45 PM

there are lots of very nice batts on the market- unfortunately not available at walmart. always read the package- it will tell you the % of shrinkage you can expect. I love all of the batts from the dream company---dream green, dream wool (my favorite all time) dream poly, dream cotton, dream orient, dream bamboo....there are more too- all great batts (and yes- i've tried them all)
i also really like the Hobbs batts- 80/20, heirloom black, cotton & poly batts from the hobbs company (many available & on sale often at "Connecting Threads) personally i Never use warm & natual (unless a customer brings it in-wants it in their quilt) the dream wool and the Hobbs wool batts do not shrink...most of the poly batts do not shrink. cotton batts shrink any where from3% up to about 10%...always read the packaging which will tell you how much shrinkage to expect, how close you need to quilt, and how it should be cared for/laundered.

patchsamkim 02-21-2013 04:27 PM

I also love the batting from Quilter's Dream...have used the cotton, the blend, and the wool...and they also have a polyester I have heard is nice but haven't used it. I also have used the Hobbs 80/20, and like that too. I am not a warm and natural lover...it is too stiff to me.

karen526 02-21-2013 05:22 PM

I personally like Warm and Natural batting. It is cotton and very nice. I figure that if you send so much time and money making the quilt, don't skimp on the batting. I have used it for all the quilts I made for my grandchildren and it washes very nicel. The quilt holds its shape well.

mighty 02-21-2013 06:06 PM

I prefer Quilters dream , but have used batting from Joann's without any problems. The best I have used from Joann's was a bambo it was really soft.

craftyhand 05-10-2015 02:35 PM

Does anyone know if polyester batting can be ironed or not? I want to join two pieces together

mamagrande 05-10-2015 03:11 PM

my favorite is Quilter Dream, I usually get Poly Select. If I am working on small project and I want puffy then I get 6oz Hobbs poly, if I want cotton blend then I get Hobbs 80/20. The 100% cotton will give you enough shrinkage to give the quilt an old fashion look that some people look for but not too much.