Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting -- is there a right and wrong side??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-there-right-wrong-side-t219447.html)

Stitch124 04-18-2013 07:51 AM

Batting -- is there a right and wrong side???

I'm a new quilter so don't think I'm a stupid-head, (like my DGS sometimes says, and gets in trouble for it). I didn't even think about it.

I have some white warm and natural that I'm about to use and don't want to mess up the sandwich.

Can anyone share what they know about this?

Thanks...

Julie

NJ Quilter 04-18-2013 07:55 AM

Bottom line, yes there is a right and wrong side. I know there was a discussion here on the board a bit ago that you might be able to search for more info. BUT, I've used W&N batting for years; have never paid attention (honestly didn't even know about right/wrong side) and have never had an issue. I hand quilt. I think there would be even less of an issue (if one even really exists) if you are machine quilting. Just my 2 cents.

nativetexan 04-18-2013 08:35 AM

I've never been able to tell. can't tell the insul-bright sides either.

intoquilting 04-18-2013 08:54 AM

Bumps against quilt top and smoother side against backing

krafty14 04-18-2013 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by intoquilting (Post 6010555)
Bumps against quilt top and smoother side against backing

From what I heard, the batting is needled in one direction. The smooth is where the needle goes in and the bumpy is where it comes out. Supposedly, if you lay it in the quilt the other direction then the needle may push a little lump out the back. Ann

momto5 04-18-2013 10:12 AM

Smooth side lays on wrong side of backing....:)

Nanny's dollface 04-18-2013 10:17 AM

Stitch124 thanks for asking this question. I never knew this nor even thought about this question. Thanks again!

feline fanatic 04-18-2013 10:21 AM

I can speak from personal experience that I DID have a problem on my longarm when I put it on upside down. The needle pushed little tiny tufts of the batting through to the backing. I don't think this would happen to a hand quilter but it could easily happen on a DSM (domestic sewing machine) and most definitely will happen with a LA based on my experience and others.

A little rhyme that always helps me remember with W&N is "Bump side up"

stitchengramie 04-18-2013 10:34 AM

I never knew that there was a wrong or right side of batting. Now I know. Thanks for asking this question Stitch124.

Lori S 04-18-2013 10:43 AM

The manufacture of warm and natural says the side with the bits of dark specks is the right side , that faces up , and should face the back of the quilt top. Its much harder to tell on warm and white ( no specks) which side is the right side . I keep a square of warm and natural , so I can compare the textures , and hopefully get it right. But bumpy side goes up.