Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bearding batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bearding-batting-t182918.html)

Irene Frohreich 03-15-2012 05:05 PM

Bearding batting

Has any one had trouble with Warm and Natural batting bearding when it is machine quilted or is it just me?

theoldgraymare 03-15-2012 05:30 PM

Never had any problems at all with it.

leggz48 03-15-2012 05:48 PM

I've noticed some 'white' coming through on dark backing, but nothing worth worrying about. I just use a lint brush to clear it out.

dunster 03-15-2012 06:31 PM

I've never noticed any bearding, and I use W&N or W&W most of the time. I've read that bearding is less likely to occur if you use a sharp needle, more likely with a dull or too-thick needle, so you might check to see that your needle is sharp and not larger than needed for your thread type. Also bearding will show up more on solids and dark colors. W&N is all cotton with scrim, so it's one of the least likely battings to beard.

QuiltE 03-15-2012 07:00 PM

Dunster ... you made suggestions, that I was "thinking" made sense, without any rationale from my end.

One thing you've made me wonder about .... is there a special needle type that we should be using for quilting??? as it's "punching" thru a lot more than the typical two pieces of quilting cotton.

Prism99 03-15-2012 07:11 PM

I think with Warm and Natural it helps if the quilt is layered with the scrim side on the backing. This way the needle of your machine is punching it in the same direction as from the factory (assuming you are machine quilting from the top). Theoretically anyway, that should help prevent bearding.

nstitches4u 03-15-2012 08:14 PM

Haven't had any problem so far.

Dolphyngyrl 03-15-2012 08:45 PM

W&N is mostly cotton so it should not beard a lot. I know polyester does

SoSewSue 03-15-2012 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5063856)
One thing you've made me wonder about .... is there a special needle type that we should be using for quilting??? as it's "punching" thru a lot more than the typical two pieces of quilting cotton.

There are specific 'Quilting' machine needles which have a longer narrower indent on the shaft which is meant to facilitate going through the layers of a quilt. I really quite like these - and as a new FMQer I have had the most success with these type of needles; however there is a sizable school of thought that believes the only type of needle you need is a topstitch needle and the rest of the needle types are superfluous. And I imagine, much like sewing machine brands, there will be as many different opinions on which needle type is best as there are members on the quilit board !

CharlottsQuilts 03-16-2012 05:29 AM

I have experienced breading on one of my quilts too, and although I can't remember the batting that I used, I know it was a good quality one also. Sorry I can't give you any advice, just commiseration