Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Because I had some left over warm and natural batting....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/because-i-had-some-left-over-warm-natural-batting-t181848.html)

pdriggs 03-06-2012 12:40 PM

Because I had some left over warm and natural batting.......

I decided to fill out the pad on my ironing board. It was too short and too narrow, and had been for at least 10 years. It didn't cause any trouble till I started quilting, and then I needed the full top. I looked for a new cover, but they were pretty chintzy, so I decided to make one. Insulbrite and more batting was on sale at JoAnns, and had the 20% of coupon that was on the board yesterday. I got the materials to make the cover, add even more to the padding, make a portable 24 by 24 ironing pad, and enough Insulbrite to make curling iron sacks for every female in the family for less than Joann's better ironing board cover. I have never been able to get one that really fits. It may be that my ironing board was a wedding present 48 years ago. (No it was not made of stone, it really is metal!) I don't have many of the original presents, but I do still have the original husband.
Phyllis

Lori S 03-06-2012 01:50 PM

I am always flabergasted at the price of really chessy ironing board covers. I too gave up on finding one that would last, and made my own.
Now I need to locate one of those good built to last forever ironing boards. Mine has seen better days.

quiltyfeelings 03-06-2012 03:28 PM

I've only been married 21 years and I've gone through about 4 cheap ironing boards. The last one buckled the FIRST time I used it. OK, perhaps I was pressing my iron kind of hard, but really?! I finally bought a hollow-core door and covered it. It sets on top of a banquet table that I have on bedrisers. LOVE IT. I guess with my Walmart ironing boards, I really did get what I paid for!

Bluphrog 03-06-2012 03:51 PM

I've been married for 40 years and had ironing board #1 until 2004 when DS took it to college I still have ironing board #2, but made my last cover from cotton batting and Teflon material.

LTeachergeorge 03-06-2012 05:29 PM

I still have my original ironing board from 40 years ago. I love it as it is sturdier that the ones you can buy today. I bought a rectangular covered board at a quilt show that I really like using, but it doesn't fit down over the edges of my ironing board as I think they are supposed to. Won't part with the ironing board so may have to have DS modify the "topper" for me.

LadyElisabeth 03-06-2012 05:35 PM

I love the wooden ironing board that was my mothers, however, one of my grown sons acquired it and gave me a big, heavy, sturdy one from Costco.

pdriggs 03-06-2012 05:39 PM

My MILs home Ec group gave ironing boards for wedding presents. They were pretty good, because all of my SILs are still using ours. I had to redo the bolts holding the back foot on today, but it is in great shape. My husband's family had three weddings in three weeks when we got married. His sister, his step sister, then us. His step-dad asked if he could plan the fourth weekend himself.
Phyllis

AliKat 03-07-2012 09:12 AM

I got a really good ironing board last year .... at an estate sale! No one else wanted it and it was sooo cheap. I wouldn't have been able to afford a new one like it, if they even make it.

ali