Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Becoming more selective in my projects Win Win Win (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/becoming-more-selective-my-projects-win-win-win-t226481.html)

kay carlson 07-24-2013 06:56 PM

Becoming more selective in my projects Win Win Win

Today, I delivered flannel fabric to my quilting sisters at our weekly luncheon. My decision to no longer use up scraps of flannel for quilts has freed me to go in a different direction.

Being a scrap quilter and having squares of flannel on hand, I had used up most of the squares in the blocks that my friend is sewing together for quilt tops for children. She will use some of the stash flannel for borders and has enough flannel for backings. I announced boldly that I was out of the business of constructing flannel quilts. The gals could look through the odds and ends and I would deliver anything left over to St. Vincent de Paul that afternoon.

My flannel projects in the future will be limited to burp cloths, which are in high demand. :)

There are just too many other projects that I want to pursue with regular quilter's cotton.

Having grown up being resourceful (Mama's terminology) the flannel stash was weighing me down. It has been passed forward for charity quilting and I feel as though a ton of weight has been removed from my shoulders!!!
I'll never miss that Rubbermaid tote of flannel and have freed up creative space for my own enjoyment.

Now, I wonder what took me so long to reach this decision and take action?!

Dina 07-24-2013 07:11 PM

Good for you! I am tempted to say "Go forth and enjoy!!" :) In fact, I will. Enjoy your new freedom.

Dina

MaryMo 07-24-2013 07:43 PM

Congratulations! I wish I could free myself of some scraps and feel that good about it. Mine seem to multiply when I give some away.

Painiacs 07-24-2013 07:44 PM

Vgood for you! How freeing you must feel!! Let us know your next endeavor!!

frustratedquilter40 07-24-2013 08:18 PM

Congratulations!!!! I have at least 1 rubbermad tub of flannel and have only made 2 flannel rag quilts tempted to donate to the guild. But part of me wants to hand on it thinking I will use it for jammies. But really after 4yrs I need to get real :p

justflyingin 07-24-2013 11:16 PM

I know the feeling. I had a whole box of flannel but I was so "not in the mood" to work with flannel anymore. Then, we went to the states for 35 days in May/early June and I asked the lady who was staying in my home (who had free access to my machines and loved to sew) if she would mind sewing them into charity rag quilts. She and her husband made 13 rag quilts out of the flannel and they are ready for me to give away. I was so pleased and I know exactly your feeling of relief!

mckwilter 07-25-2013 08:00 AM

"For everything there is a season" and your season with flannel was over. Rather than angst about it, you acted in a positive way that helps both you and many others. Enjoy your new projects.

retiredteacher09 07-25-2013 05:08 PM

I just gave my extra fleece to a group that will make them into baby buntings for their bundles. It feels good to have it out of my house and go to a good cause.

Nammie to 7 07-25-2013 06:20 PM

How wonderful - you gave your flannel to a group who will use it wisely and you've given yourself permission to work on other projects. It is a win-win situation! You go girl!

QuiltnLady1 07-25-2013 08:12 PM

I just got done giving away most of my stashed flannel when a friend of DD got pregnant. She wanted more receiving blankets. Did some fast shopping and now I have flannel scraps again. I wonder if I dare get rid of the rest now?????