Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   been organizing fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/been-organizing-fabrics-t182086.html)

Vanuatu Jill 03-08-2012 12:11 PM

been organizing fabrics

4 Attachment(s)
My ever-growing stash of fabrics (mostly due to all the fabs I have been buying for my purses/totes), was getting out of control-don't have a good area to store them. So, after clearing a top shelf in my closet above my hanging organizers, I am able to stick bolts upright, and in my sewing area, I have rolled my purse fabrics (well, till I ran out of empty bolts) on bolts, and keep them upright as well to take up less space, and I can readily see what I have. I love keeping it on bolts as opposed to folding because I don't get extra creases. I love looking at them from where I sew. I get the empty cardboard bolts from Joann's-they are happy to give them away, so I get about 8-10 each time I "pop" in

Candace 03-08-2012 12:18 PM

The cardboard from manufacturers is not acid free and over long periods can damage fabric. Just keep that in mind...

Vanuatu Jill 03-08-2012 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5042483)
The cardboard from manufacturers is not acid free and over long periods can damage fabric. Just keep that in mind...

I heard that, but I only have a couple of yards of each one and as I use them down to less than a yard, they will come off and just be folded. I figure if the can sit in the shops for months on them (or longer), they should be ok. I don't plan to have them stored for a long time. Thanks for the heads-up, though!

tucsonquilter 03-08-2012 12:35 PM

Wow awesome!

mighty 03-08-2012 12:46 PM

Oh so many beautiful fabrics!!!!

QuiltnNan 03-08-2012 12:54 PM

i love the eye candy :thumbup:

Scissor Queen 03-08-2012 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5042483)

And you know this because? Somebody on the board actually emailed a manufacturer and asked and the answer was the cardboard was acid freee.

lfstamper 03-08-2012 01:13 PM

Looks like a fun closet to shop in!

Vanuatu Jill 03-08-2012 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5042621)
And you know this because? Somebody on the board actually emailed a manufacturer and asked and the answer was the cardboard was acid freee.

Be great if this is true-I have in my closet several bolts that I have had there for a year or so, and full bolts I bought and haven't used much of yet. I'll take my chances.

Candace 03-08-2012 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5042621)

I KNOW this because archival, acid free cardboard and paper is expensive. There's no way all manufacturers would go to that added expense on an item meant to be thrown away. As for someone receiving an e-mail saying otherwise... If one manufacturer claims this, I'm sure not all of them are acid free.