Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Before I knew the difference between ironing and pressing I.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/before-i-knew-difference-between-ironing-pressing-i-t146365.html)

beebs 08-19-2011 03:46 PM

Washed and ironed every piece of fabric I own, do you think they will still be okay to use? Or have I stretched them? Please tell me I haven't wrecked them - I have 5 years worth :( I was having nightmares about it last night!!

Cyn 08-19-2011 03:48 PM

I have done this and never had problems so you should be fine :)

amandasgramma 08-19-2011 03:49 PM

I agree -- go for it -- I did same thing before I "learned". :)

beebs 08-19-2011 03:49 PM

Phew - thanks ladies....I was dreaming that I would have to chuck out all my lovely moda fabrics!

Glassquilt 08-19-2011 03:58 PM

Pressing is more important when you have seams.

carrieg 08-19-2011 04:00 PM

yardage is fine. It's the smaller pieces and the small, pieced pieces. LOL

DogHouseMom 08-19-2011 04:04 PM

Yup. Iron yardage. Press seams.

there is no way in HE double hockey sticks I'm going to "press" yardage. Can you say HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:)

MsEithne 08-19-2011 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by beebs
Washed and ironed every piece of fabric I own, do you think they will still be okay to use? Or have I stretched them? Please tell me I haven't wrecked them - I have 5 years worth :( I was having nightmares about it last night!!

You're probably okay; the difference is most important with smaller pieces of fabric (like patches) and with bias or off grain edges.

If you're really worried, take an average piece of fabric from your stash. Draw around it on a sheet of paper. Then let it rest in a nice lukewarm bath for a while, take it out and let it dry. When it is dry, *PRESS* it.

Then lay it down in the original outline and see if it has changed in any significant way. If it hasn't, then you are probably fine. If it has changed significantly, well, then you will have some decisions to make.

Not all distortion is a disaster. If you rarely to never use bias cuts, if you tend to quilt fairly closely, if most of your fabrics don't have strong vertical or horizontal lines (stripes, plaids, border prints), then some distortion won't make one bit of difference.

If you do have lots of stripes, plaids and border prints that look wiggly when they shouldn't, if you like to do a lot with triangles and/or off grain cuts, if you don't quilt fairly closely, then it might be worth it to wet and press your fabrics. Might be easier to do if you do it by project rather than tackling your whole stash at once.

clynns 08-19-2011 05:46 PM

There are no quilt police. Small pieces of cut fabric are important to keep the size when pressing. ANYTHING with a bias edge will stretch. If your in doubt which is the bias edge, hold the fabric selvage to selvage and try to stretch. Then try to stretch the other direction at a 90 degree angle. It will stretch more. Now try to stretch it from corner to corner - there is your bias. This is the most important sewn seam to PRESS never iron. As others have said, as long as you square you fabric and cut correctly you should be ok. I also use 'sizing' when using the iron. It gives a little more stability. Good luck.

amma 08-19-2011 06:29 PM

The only time I would worry is if I have stretched the printed design out of alignment on the fabric. If the stripes are wavy, outlines on the blocks are distorted, then I know I was to aggressive with the iron :D:D:D