Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginner project needed... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginner-project-needed-t10345.html)

quiltwoman 08-18-2008 04:37 PM

I want to get my mom a beginning project to start. My dad's cancer has returned and she is so down. I know she will be spending many hours in the hospital so it needs to be portable.

Can someone give me some ideas on easy beginner projects that can be done by hand? I really want to occupy her mind so she does not worry so much.

I saw some new fabrics at Connecting Threads that were cheery but not sure the projects are beginner level.....

TIA

shellyp 08-18-2008 04:54 PM

I heard one lady at the fabric shop say she does those yo-yo's while she waits in the offices for her appointments all the time.

mommaB 08-18-2008 05:08 PM

Firstly, prayers for your family and lots of upbeat energy sent your way!! Although I can't help you with the particulars, a table runner or even a large block for a center piece lets her accomplish something and see results in a reasonable amount of time.

quiltwoman 08-18-2008 05:13 PM

Thanks for the ideas and prayers. I live thousands of miles away from her. She has done lots of needlework but never a quilt. She has always mentioned that she'd like to make one but needs help getting started. It would probably need to be pre-cut as she has no tools. I'm looking for something she can do all by hand. I know she has a machine, but no time to use it.

Mamagus 08-18-2008 05:19 PM

I have to say I really enjoy the applique quilt I started using fusible web. I do a blanket stitch around the pictures while hubby and I watch TV at night. Very portable.

Hope your dad feels better real soon.

Lori

penski 08-18-2008 05:20 PM

maybe you could send her some blocks with a design on them and she could embroider on them while sitting at the hospital and when your dad gets home from the hospital she can be home wuth him and sew thm all together and make a quilt with all the embrodered blocks !!!!

thimblebug6000 08-18-2008 05:32 PM

I like the embroidered block idea, I've been doing a snowman one & a kewpie doll one, works great for when you're travelling. There are alot of free redwork patterns available, you could cut the blocks & trace the patterns onto them (in your spare time :roll: ) and then when you manage some time together, you could enjoy making them all into a quilt ?? Is this a possibility?
I have an ongoing english paperpiecing hexagon project that I take along sometimes .... it's quite mindless though & wouldn't really help to take her mind off things.
Sorry for your Dad.

Chele 08-18-2008 05:55 PM

You are such a sweet daughter! And I'm so sorry about your dad. Get mom distracted. Quilting, applique, cooking, whatever you think will work. Tough times. I wish you and yours the best. Hang in there!

Barb M 08-18-2008 07:16 PM

What about dresden plate?

quiltwoman 08-19-2008 03:49 AM

Thank you all for some great ideas. I have lots of great projects to look at for her.