Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina 3 series machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-3-series-machines-t86602.html)

Hockeyrabbit 12-31-2010 05:44 PM

Hi-

Was wondering and am looking for reviews on the lower end Bernina 3 series..I am wanting to upgrade from my Walmart machine, and have been looking around..wondering the price range as well??

Thanks!

sewwhat85 12-31-2010 05:54 PM

sorry i dont know anything about those machines

Mattee 12-31-2010 08:43 PM

I've test driven them, and they are fantastic! I have a Bernina, though not a 3 series. I would recommend a Bernina for quality any day, but they are pricey. I don't know the prices off the top of my head, but I'm sure well over one thousand. I would find your local dealer and talk to them.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-31-2010 09:36 PM

I have a Bernina QE and love it- you can't go wrong with a Bernina, imo

nursie76 01-01-2011 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Bernina 330 which is the least expensive of the 3 series. In fact I am sewing on it right now. I also have the Bernina 730E, but the 330 is my travel machine.

It is a really nice little machine. I believe that it retails around $850. We traded a used Janome Gem Silver in one it (I won it and didn't need/care for it), so we got it a little cheaper.

I like sewing on it. It has needle up/down, multi position needle, auto buttonholes and more decorative stitches than I would ever need on a travel machine. I do miss the thread cutter and the knee lever (hands free presser foot control). Also, with my big machine, I can push my heel on the front of my power control foot pedal and the needle goes up or down, the foot pedal control on the 330 doesn't. But, I found that the foot pedal from the big machine works in the little one and I regain the up down needle option. (I can pick up a used one at my dealer or $40 then could keep it packed up with my 330 for travel and wouldn't have to switch. Also, for $70 one could add the knee lever option. The 330 also doesn't come with the table extension, but that is an option for $35. Bottom line, some of the extras come with the slightly higher priced of the 3 series, so you would have to crunch numbers and decide which model would be the better value. My way of thinking was that could purchase the extras as I had the money rather than expending the money all at once. Any way, I don't think you would go wrong with any of the Series 3 models. Some of the extras I wanted were because I was spoiled by having them on my 730. If you have not become accustomed to those features, then you wouldn't miss them. But you would still have the option of adding them later if you wished. Oh, and you would probably want to purchase the 1/4 inch or patchwork foot if you have a problem making a perfect 1/4 seam (I still seam to have problems :oops: )

My DH insisted I attach a pic of my 330 whose name is Eva. Sorry for the mess, we are at our DS's place in NY and I am deep in a project. (See, I really needed a travel machine, don't want to leave home with out my quilting...now if I could just figure how to take it all with me to New Zealand in February :roll: )

Eva - Bernina 330
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151285[/ATTACH]

lvaughan 01-01-2011 12:52 PM

I have not had the opportunity to see the 300 series. I have the 230PE and my sister has the 130/35? We both love our machines. I previously had the 730 with the 9 mm feeddogs, my 230 has the 5.5 mm feeddogs, and I like the 230 better for piecing, I use the #57 foot. I would definitely buy a Bernina again. By the way I loved the 730 for embroidery.