Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina 440QE and frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-440qe-frame-t154865.html)

fizzix1955 09-22-2011 04:41 AM

Hello everyone - Has anyone used the Bernina (Aurora) 440QE with the BSR, with the quilt frame available from a Bernina dealer for free motion quilting? I have been considering an 820 (can't quite justify the expense), and I will probably not take quilting other peoples quilts as a business, either part or full time; the machine and frame will be strictly for my own use piecing and quilting items for myself, gifts, etc. I currently own a Bernina 1090QE, no stitch regulator, good for piecing, not so good for free motion quilting. Thank you

Grama Chris 09-22-2011 05:21 AM

I have a Bernina Aurora 450 w/BSR & just LOVE :D it !!! I can do anything I want with it. I was looking at the 800 series & I also can't put out that kind of money you would really have to utilize it all 8,000-10,000 is a lot of something you can spend it on. Good luck with your decession :thumbup:

catrancher 09-22-2011 05:57 AM

I'm not sure about the frame. I have the machine and BSR and I bought the large plexiglass extension table. Love the whole set up.

Tartan 09-22-2011 06:54 AM

I have seen the frame with the 820? on it. The frame is great, sturdy and easy to use. The biggest draw back I can see is the limited quilting space. You only have about 5-6 inches and that is with the 820? (the harp size is fine but as you roll the quilted quilt, it fills up the harp area)The 440 I think has a slightly smaller harp. If you just want to do side to side quilting it would work but bigger designs would be difficult.

Candace 09-22-2011 07:19 AM

I don't think you'd be happy with the throat space on it. The frame isn't cheap. I'd save my money for a larger throat machine or a longarm. The reason the 820 is showcased with the frame is because it's a midarm.

OCQuilts 09-22-2011 07:53 AM

Very good answers here already! I'd hold off on the frame, and see what you can accomplish with the stitch regulator alone. The set up with the frame does work, we've tried it ourselves. You do have extremely limited workspace. The 8 series machines offer much more then just size. So are worth looking at! Good luck!

scowlkat 09-22-2011 09:36 AM

If you are looking for a frame and quilter, check out Bailey's 13 or 15 inch machines. I think you can get a stitch regulator for them too. Much cheaper than Bernina.

PS Stitcher 09-22-2011 09:42 AM

I have the 440QE with the BSR and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!! Now I don't have the quilting frame so I am afraid I can't help out with that but I would HIGHLY recommend the 440QE!!

1000projects 09-22-2011 09:46 AM

I have the frame, I love it. :-) Use it with a Viking machine. However, I would not pay full price for it. It is made by Grace, there are several frames to chose from in the Grace lineup, all of them lower cost.

Check locally you should be able to find a used frame.

Maia B 09-22-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by PS Stitcher
I have the 440QE with the BSR and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!! Now I don't have the quilting frame so I am afraid I can't help out with that but I would HIGHLY recommend the 440QE!!

I also love my Berninas, though I'm just getting into FMQ. I just wanted to say that the 820 is $6500, not $10K like the 830, which is the TOL sewing AND embroidery machine. I got mine for $7100 with the frame (made by the Grace Co, sells for over $2000), on a no-interest for 48 mos promo, so $162/mo. Yes, a 9" Juki straight stitcher on a frame would have been less expensive. But the 820 is also the TOL non-embroidery sewing machine. For me, the 820 was a great value, as it's a luxury, high-performance sewing machine, has the BSR, built-in dual feed, larger bobbin capacity, 12" harp, and can be used on or off the frame. I haven't put it on the frame yet, just working to "master" it now. I'm telling y'all what it costs because so many people assume it costs as much as the 830. PLEASE no comments about how it costs as much as your car, etc, it cost much more than my car. I earn it (I'm a nurse, BUHlieve me, I earn it), I spend it. I give to charity, pay taxes, support my family, etc. I just want to let other quilters know what's available out there. Just one fabulous option :)