Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina 830 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-830-a-t203444.html)

psthreads 10-17-2012 05:20 AM

Bernina 830

Does anyone have a Bernina 830? If so how do you like it?

Candace 10-17-2012 06:48 AM

Yes I do and there have been lots of theads on it if you do a search. I sort of have a love/want to throw it out the window relationship with mine. Lots of parts that have needed replacing and more repairs than a machine should have to have for the price, IMO.

Tartan 10-17-2012 07:16 AM

I seriously looked at it before buying my B 440. It was just too much machine for me and the price was too much. I didn't get the embroidery for my 440 since I didn't think I was computer savvy enough to use it. The 440 has since been replaced by the 550? Only you can evaluate if it is the right machine for you. Do you have a good LQS that will let you try it before you buy it and get lessons on it after?

nellybelle 10-17-2012 07:31 AM

I have an 830 Record. Was my first machine after using my mother's Kenmore. Boy was that heavy!!! Wanted something that wasn't so heavy to take to a class and I had been reading posts about Bernina. I friend had one also. I bought second hand and that was alright with me. Since then after reading the "vintage machines" thread I have bought a FW. I love both the Bernina and FW. Mother's machine will wait to see if one of the granddaughter's want it. I will have to show them a lot of things as they don't sew anymore in school.

BellaBoo 10-17-2012 09:26 AM

Several guild members have the new 830. One says it's okay the rest say it's nothing but trouble with getting parts that don't work replaced. I think there is a dealer problem too. I would make darn sure I trusted the dealer before I paid that much for a machine.

quiltstringz 10-17-2012 09:39 AM

My mom has one (I still have my 730) and she loves it - we actually haven't played with the embroidery much but plan on it as soon as time allows. One thought - they just came out with a new 7 series which I would really look at. Depending on what you are doing - the throat space is I believe only an inch shorter, the bobbin is even larger and stitches are very comparable. Pricing is I believe less. 710 sewing only, 750 sewing 750 E sewing & embroidery, 780 sewing & embroidery. In addition to the large throat area, larger bobbin these also have the even feed feature which is wonderful.

I am not affliated and only reason I know this much is I am considering selling my 730 and going for one of them. Probably the 750 without embroidery since the embroidery module from my mom's 830 will also work on it.

Patti25314 10-17-2012 12:25 PM

I did what Tartan did except that I traded for the 580. It is considered the baby 830. I love it! If you need a lot of control in what you do with your embroidery designs, then consider the 830 or the new 700 series. If you can live with buying designs and having some flexibility in what you do with them, consider the 580.

decky 10-17-2012 01:20 PM

I have an 830 and have never ever had any problems with it. The only draw back that I can see is it's too heavy to take to class.

Pat in MN

jcrow 10-17-2012 01:39 PM

I have the 830 and love it. At first I wasn't getting it threaded correctly (yes, you can thread it wrong, it's hard to do, but I did) and had problems with it clacking, but when I figured out how to correctly thread it and that it likes cones of thread, it works excellent.
I use it every time I sew. I'm learning the embroidery part of it. I've had it 2 1/2 years now and am still taking lessons. My dealer is 2 hours away and I can't get over there in the winter, so I can take classes as long as I want. It does everything.
They have classes on YouTube. 21 classes. It weighs 47 pounds so I don't take it to class or retreats. I usually try not to tell people I have one because they form opinions when I tell them. I don't know why. I saved up for it.
I know that it doesn't like varigated thread to piece with (mine). But I didn't know that varigated thread was to quilt with either. I am kinda stupid sometimes. It says the thread is broken, even when it's not. Even the spools will say that the thread is broken when it's not sometimes so I bought about 10 cones of thread and haven't had one problem with it.
I have never had to change out a part on it ever. I love the knee lift, the thread cutter, how I can set it so the foot will be raised 2 mm. I love that it's self threading. I love the dual feeder the most. I buy all my feet for the dual feeder. It makes all the difference in the world to me. It has a huge manual and once in a while I look through it and find out many new things that it does and amazed by it.
I take my Viking to classes and retreats. I don't want the women at the retreats to know I own an 830 anyway. My sister owned one and they use to tease/bother her about it. I didn't like that. Neither did she. Can you believe people would actually say things to someone about their machine they own?? I would never in a million years, unless it's positive.
But, it's a very good investment, to me. I absolutely love the embroidery on it. It is so fascinating what I can do with it. It even has a cut out foot for embroidery. It's so nice!!! You can do so much with the embroidery. You can do so much on the 830. So much!!!