Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina Bernette (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-bernette-t159418.html)

dlux 10-10-2011 09:59 AM

Does anyone have this little machine and do you like it? I'm thinking of getting one to take to classes rather than taking my 430.

Prism99 10-10-2011 10:04 AM

I would not get a Bernette. I love my Bernina 1230, but the Bernettes cannot compare in quality.

For a class machine, I would look into getting a Janome Gem.

Maia B 10-10-2011 10:13 AM

I got a Bernette 46 free for using the Bernina credit card. I actually haven't sewn with it yet. The plastic is mottled and cheap-looking. There's a new line of Bernettes, the 12, 15, 20, and 25, which look very promising. But none of the Bernettes take the Bernina feet. A Bernina 210 or 215 could shared feet with your 430, but they cost about $700 and are only about 5 pounds lighter. I bought a 240, which was recently discontiniued. I don't feel at all deprived, it has the solid, precise feel of my 440. For something lighter, I have a Singer featherweight if all I need is a straight stitch, or my kids' Brother HS 2000 if I want more stitches.

char634w 10-10-2011 10:40 AM

Just FYI, the Bernette is not made by Bernina it is "made for Bernina" and not the quality of Bernina. You may be disappointed if you already have a Bernina, especially the 430 so I would suggest you try and find a little Singer Featherweight or just get a rolling carrier thing to make it easier to take it to class.

GwynR 10-10-2011 10:41 AM

I got two Bernette 46's for using 2 different cards. I tried them both out and they sewed great! They are plastic though and will probably scratch up and not look so pretty eventually. I am saving them for my grandchildren that will hopefully come along some day. They will be perfect for kids. I don't think they would be nice for taking to classes though, they just don't seem as well made as the Berninas. I agree with finding another Bernina that would share feet!

Honeynga 10-10-2011 10:59 AM

One of my machines is a Bernina Bernette and I've never had a problem with it....one of the first biggest projects I made on it was a very large rag quilt and it did well....too, it is light enough to take to class. It is not a expensive machine and I don't expect it to last forever but it seems to fit my need at the moment.

I bought a Singer Athena 1200 at a thrift shop; have cleaned it up and will try it out on my next rag quilt.

jaciqltznok 10-10-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I would not get a Bernette. I love my Bernina 1230, but the Bernettes cannot compare in quality.

my Bernina lady quit selling the Bernettes..said they were nothing but trouble..many parts can not even be found to fix them!

OCQuilts 10-10-2011 11:12 AM

We've sold a lot of the Bernette 46 machines. They have been a very good machine. True, they are not a Bernina. They are a good quality inexpensive machine. The 12,15,20 and 25 are better quality. We have not experienced a single mechanical problem with any of them.

dlux 10-10-2011 11:28 AM

Thanks for all your comments, so now I think I won't get one. My cart for my 430 has wheels so that isn't a problem and I have 3 Featherweights so I'm OK there. I'm just a sewing machine nut and was thinking I needed (wanted) another toy.

CarrieC 10-10-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99

I second this opinion. I've gone through 2 Gems - both served me well and then were passed down and are still in use.