Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-pressure-foot-up-when-threading-must-t106005.html)

blisterful 03-08-2011 09:27 AM

(I posted a few weeks before when I was having trouble with timing going out 3 times in three weeks). I am still having the same issues with this machine. Yesterday, authorized Bernina repairman said the reason my Bernina is going out of time is because I have been threading machine with the pressure foot down. I find it hard to believe his statement. If this were true, our owner's manuals would have a great big warning statement telling us our machine may need servicing if we thread needle with pressure foot up. Bernina owners, please let me know if you have ever threaded your machine with the pressure foot down and what you think of his explanation.

DebsShelties 03-08-2011 09:30 AM

I reciently read to thread any machine with the pressure foot UP. Tension is better with the machine done this way compared to having the foot down. I know it's more difficult to thread with the foot in the up position, however, isn't having a smooth running machine better than one that breaks threads, or puts out uneven stitches?

kathy 03-08-2011 09:33 AM

I can see that if you thread any machine with the foot down the thread may not go into the tension discs correctly, but I sure can't figure it causing any OTHER problems, very strange if it's true.

ghostrider 03-08-2011 09:42 AM

When the foot is down, the tension discs are engaged and you are putting undue stress on the thread and the discs when you pull it to thread the needle. This is true for any sewing machine. I think your repair guy's explanation is right on and you should listen to him. I never thread machines with the foot down...it's like pushing a car with the brakes on. :D

sewmuchmore 03-08-2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I reciently read to thread any machine with the pressure foot UP. Tension is better with the machine done this way compared to having the foot down. I know it's more difficult to thread with the foot in the up position, however, isn't having a smooth running machine better than one that breaks threads, or puts out uneven stitches?

That is good to know. I have been doing it with the foot down. :oops:

crt 03-08-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
When the foot is down, the tension discs are engaged and you are putting undue stress on the thread and the discs when you pull it to thread the needle. This is true for any sewing machine. I think your repair guy's explanation is right on and you should listen to him. I never thread machines with the foot down...it's like pushing a car with the brakes on. :D

You explained it very well. :D I have done it by mistake once or twice, and I worry that it will hurt my machine.

DebsShelties 03-08-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore

Originally Posted by DebsShelties

That is good to know. I have been doing it with the foot down. :oops:

I was too, and wondered why my stitches were off - answer presser foot needed to be UP when threading.
It's very easy to unhook the foot, use the auto threader, then rehook the foot to sew.

sueisallaboutquilts 03-08-2011 10:43 AM

Great post- hope this helps you! I've learned from it.

feline fanatic 03-08-2011 10:49 AM

When threading the machine I always have my pressure foot up for the exact reason Ghost Rider explained. However, when threading my needle I have done it with pressure foot down but only dropping the pressure foot after I have taken enough slack in my thread that I may need. I never pull my thread through the machine when the tension disks are engaged (ie when pressure foot is down). I always raise it before pulling any thread. So much so that it is engrained habit now.

Nana2Sew 03-08-2011 10:51 AM

I was taught to thread any sewing machine with the presser foot up. You can lower the foot to thread the needle.