Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-vs-janome-new-twist-t34291.html)

peaceandjoy 01-22-2010 06:01 PM

Gasp... She's soooo (sew?)pretty!

Mousie 01-22-2010 06:35 PM

I have enjoyed reading this thread, bc I was always curious about the Berninas.
I couldn't afford one when I got ready for a new machine and bought a Janome 6260 Quilters Companion.
I liked that one so much that four years later, I got the Janome 6600 with the accufeed and I love it.
Making a major purchase is always tough, and everybody is different in how they go about it.
No matter what kind of machine, car, etc. I buy, if I can't try it out for myself with my fabrics, forget it.
I am the one who is going to be all by myself when I get ready to operate it.
Will I ever own a Bernina? maybe, if hubby wins the lottery, but then again why? I'm happy with what I have.
I find it to be user friendly, and there's plenty of information on their site etc.
Why spend the extra money? I'm glad that you got the machine you wanted with the sales ppl you want to deal with. Now you have the option to trade in if you want.
I bet you won't :wink:

BKinCO 01-22-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
I couldn't afford one when I got ready for a new machine and bought a Janome 6260 Quilters Companion.
I liked that one so much that four years later, I got the Janome 6600 with the accufeed and I love it.
Making a major purchase is always tough, and everybody is different in how they go about it.
No matter what kind of machine, car, etc. I buy, if I can't try it out for myself with my fabrics, forget it.
Will I ever own a Bernina? maybe, if hubby wins the lottery, but then again why? I'm happy with what I have.
I find it to be user friendly, and there's plenty of information on their site etc.
Why spend the extra money? I'm glad that you got the machine you wanted with the sales ppl you want to deal with. Now you have the option to trade in if you want.

I think I'm going to be happy with my decision. I just completed my first mini-project (maybe I should refer to it as a micro-project :)) just to try it out. I made a pillowcase to cover a dog bed....I was able to try out some of the features~~the zigzag, the 1/4inch foot, using the thread cutter and the needle threader.....so far I've found it extremely user friendly. Ironically, the biggest issue I've had so far is winding the bobbin. For whatever reason I had to wind 4 until I got it right...You should have seen dh's face as he watched me unwind bobbin after bobbin of thread. ;) I had to remind him thread was half price at Joann's this week :)

Mousie 01-22-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by BKinCO

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy

I think I'm going to be happy with my decision. I just completed my first mini-project (maybe I should refer to it as a micro-project :)) just to try it out. I made a pillowcase to cover a dog bed....I was able to try out some of the features~~the zigzag, the 1/4inch foot, using the thread cutter and the needle threader.....so far I've found it extremely user friendly. Ironically, the biggest issue I've had so far is winding the bobbin. For whatever reason I had to wind 4 until I got it right...You should have seen dh's face as he watched me unwind bobbin after bobbin of thread. ;) I had to remind him thread was half price at Joann's this week :)

well, I'm not at all sure why you had issues with winding your bobbins, but I will share this tip: I had read sooomewhere, that winding at a medium speed is much better than high speed. I always do this and have never had a problem:D
ew, I'm so excited you got a j6600. I'm gonna be checking in to see how you like it :-D but I'm not the one to explain features.
Mousie is, um...a little longwinded at times :mrgreen:

Gramof6 01-22-2010 08:34 PM

I have really enjoyed following this thread and learning about the various opinions. Your new Machine is just beautiful. Congratulations and I wish you many many happy hours of stitching.

Shorebird 01-23-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Here she is :thumbup: My new addition!

(I'd change the thread title, but I don't know how!!!)

I am SOOOOOO happy for you!! That looks like a WONDERFUL machine, and I am certain that you will find that the wonderful service you will get from your Janome dealer will be much appreciated in the days to come..

CONGRATS!!!!!

sarahelloyd 01-23-2010 01:33 PM

I have a Bernina and had lusted after it for years, so was thrilled when I could finally afford it. One thing to consider is the future value of the machine when you want to trade it in. My Bernina is just about holding it's value after 6 years, what would the Janome do?

blahel 01-23-2010 07:51 PM

BkinCO let us know how you go with your new janome..that is a machine that i have been thinking of getting and so many people seem to have. Let us know what features you love and what you hate as I bought my last machine and didnt do enough research either and got talked into getting something that if I had known more about I wouldnt have bought. I still love my machine but there are features that I would love to have and my machine doesnt have.

BKinCO 01-23-2010 08:48 PM

Well, I've had her now for a little more than 24 hours. I've completed one quilt block (for the BOM on here) as of tonight. I have found working with this machine is so much easier. I know I've only touched the tip of the iceberg with all it's features but that baby runs like buttah!!! I don't yet regret my purchase. My biggest fear was that I was going to spend all this money and then I'd be terrified to use it and get all overwhelmed.....fortunately the store rep had spent some time going over the machine with me when I went in for the test drive so I already knew some of the basics that certainly were not on my other machine (the knee lift, the thread cutter, the needle up/down button....)

We'll see what the next few days bring :)

Janstar 01-23-2010 09:39 PM

Congrats BK! Have a ball! I'm a Viking person and have no comlpaints. I just wish someone could invent a forever bobbin! LOL