Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Berninas are good, no? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/berninas-good-no-t219682.html)

Wintersewer 04-23-2013 04:06 AM

I bought a new Bernina 710 ($3500 plus tax.) 5 weeks ago and it has been nothing but trouble. I have already had it back to the dealer, and still it is not right. The straight stitch is crooked, and there are several others with the same problem. Some dealers have deflected blame back on experienced sewers, and some have worked with the owners, and even sent some of them back to Bernina for repairs. I bought a tote just so that I can take it back for repairs. It weighs near 30 pounds and I hurt my shoulder taking it back the first time. Everything Bernina costs more than any other machine and it is just not worth it.

My new Janome 7700 works perfectly and has since the day I bought it.

After three weeks my Bernina 710 it had to go back because the bobbin case was stuck in the machine. This is a brand new type for Bernina and at least 4 others reported that it was either stuck in the machine or the bobbin was stuck in the bc. Before this 710 i had a Bernina 530 and it was wonderful. I advise NOT buying a new model, as Bernina uses their customers to test them.

SewFarBehind 04-23-2013 04:07 AM

I have a Bernina Serger, not a sewing machine. The reason I went with Bernina was it was the only place that would service their own machines and also offer free classes to help me learn all of the different ways this machine could be used. I have to travel an hour to get there but it has been well worth my time! The service and classes are key! Saving up for the sewing/embroidery machine. Yes, they're expensive :-(

romanojg 04-23-2013 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by julie (Post 6019364)
Wow, do I feel slighted. I have a Bernette 65, that my DH bought for me about 4 years ago. I love it. I've never had any problems with it, I've had it in for service only once, and that was preventive maintenance. I buy all my accessories at the Bernina store, I think that if these machines were so awful, Bernina would stop supplying them, so they wouldn't be associated with them.
As a couple other members said, test drive some machines and decide which one you like for yourself. You know your budget, so look at machines in that range. Before my Bernette, I owned Kenmore, and I loved those too.
If we can't be nice about the different brands of machines, and everyone's preferences, we'll never have world peace! lol

I totally agree. I've had a Singer for 25 yrs, and I gave it to my daughter when I bought my Kenmore that was made by Janome, it's a great machine too and I still use it. I had a Viking Ruby for a yr and loved it and traded it up last yr when I got a fantastic deal on the new Viking Diamond Deluxe, love it too. Sewing machines are just like about every other thing in life, some love what they got and others have had bad experiences with them. I've been lucky with my machines because I've loved them all. I didn't go with Bernia because I don't like the staff at the store here that sells them and wouldn't want to deal with that often. I didn't go with the Janome mainly because I really like the Viking. I got to embroider on a new Brother last yr and it was great and had one feature that I wished mine had but then mine has features that it doesn't have and I wouldn't give up. You really need to test drive the machines and the dealers and find one that's a good mix. I've heard some say they live in the sticks and it's too far away. I'd check out the nearest town and then find out what each shop sells and then take a day and go and try them all out and then decide. If you are going low end as with my Kenmore I didnt do that but did get the 5 yr warranty for next to nothing. All things in life has the good and then once in a while one that messes up, machines, people, etc are all like this.

AlienQuilter 04-23-2013 04:31 AM

I used to have a Bernette 65 and she and I had quite a few go arounds! I would get the tension just right then after a few minutes of sewing I would have to fight with it to get the tension right.

Get a machine with auto tension and a needle threader. Also, a few decorative stitches will come in handy. Check Greg's list. I have a Bernina serger which is awesome so I do like the Bernina line. I have a Babylock and love it.

If you can buy from a local dealer they should offer support and classes. But, if you belong to a guild, maybe someone with the same type machine would be willing to help you.

AlienQuilter 04-23-2013 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by julie (Post 6019364)
Wow, do I feel slighted. I have a Bernette 65, that my DH bought for me about 4 years ago. I love it. I've never had any problems with it, I've had it in for service only once, and that was preventive maintenance. I buy all my accessories at the Bernina store, I think that if these machines were so awful, Bernina would stop supplying them, so they wouldn't be associated with them.
As a couple other members said, test drive some machines and decide which one you like for yourself. You know your budget, so look at machines in that range. Before my Bernette, I owned Kenmore, and I loved those too.
If we can't be nice about the different brands of machines, and everyone's preferences, we'll never have world peace! lol

I just got through reading all the posts. The original poster asked for opinions. And we gave them. Wouldn't you want to know if anyone had problems with the Bernette before you bought it? If she decides to go ahead and buy one she can make sure she knows what the return/refund policy is. I'm very glad that you have a machine that you love. She needs to hear the good comments as well as the unhappy comments so she can make an informed decision. No one is slighting you.

Dodie 04-23-2013 05:13 AM

I have a Bernina with the stitch regulator and love it also have a Pfaff that I use for piecing a very good machine but does not do the hard quilting work that the Bernina does but one of the most important things is to buy close to a dealer that will work with you so you can learn to use your machine to full capacity

ksdot417 04-23-2013 05:19 AM

I have two and I love them both!

Gerbie 04-23-2013 05:34 AM

If you can get it for a few hundred, grab it quick. What model is it do you know? I have a 930 Bernina that I have had since 1985, and have never yet had a problem with it. I love it. I switch between it and my featherweights for sewing blocks. I use my Bernina for heavy sewing. GREAT machine in my opinion. I have only had Singer and Bernina, so I can't speak for other machines. I have my Mother's old Singer Dressmaker machine, she bought in 1941 or 1942, it was used at the time, that I learned to sew on and a Singer Golden Touch I bought in 1968, and loved sewing on it, until I bought my Bernina.
I would definitely say buy that machine, and if they are offering you lessons on it great. Sounds like you can't go wrong on this deal.

mckwilter 04-23-2013 06:02 AM

I have 3 Berninas -- a 440QE, a 240 and an embroidery/sewing machine whose number I don't remember right now. I also have 9 Singers, 6 of which are Featherweights. I had a Bernette, which was my go-to-class machine, but I gave it to my son when he got married (he sews, DDIL doesn't). The Bernette was an eBay purchase, but from the start was dependable and easy to use, and I would and have recommended them to friends. My advice is to (1) decide on what you want to pay; (2) visit several dealers and sew at the machines; (3) take your time. If you know that you are going to be using it a lot, then it would be worth it to spend a little more money. The more money you spend, the more bells and whistles you get, so decide what is important to you -- knee lift, needle up/down, built-in decorative stitches. When you buy from a dealer, you have the guarantee of service and advice.

Also, White machines are made by Husqvarrna; Kenmores are made by Janome; Bernettes are made by Bernina.

Donnamarie 04-23-2013 06:24 AM

Bernina's are the cadiallic of sewing machines. I purchased one 21 years ago and have never had a problem with it and I just love it! I do have it in for a tuneup every 1 to 1 1/2 years. My husband keeps on telling me that I should get a new one but why? Mine works fine and I could sew on it blindfolded I'm so familiar with it. The only thing I wished I had was the automatic needle threader but that's still not enough of a reason for me to get a new one.