Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Berninas are good, no? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/berninas-good-no-t219682.html)

DannyValentine 04-21-2013 04:43 PM

Berninas are good, no?

Someone from my quilt guild donated a White machine to me. I hand quilt and piece but I wanted to learn on a machine. This machine does not like me and I don't like it. One of my LQS is a bernina store and there's a machine I'd like to get for a couple hundred bucks. It's a very basic machine and they would teach me how to use it when I bought it. I just wanted to get an opinion on whether or not Bernina's are a good buy.

momto5 04-21-2013 04:47 PM

Berninas are about as top of the line as it gets....I have an older one (a 1008) and I love it still! It shares space with several others: a Janome 6600P, a Husqvarna-Viking Platinum, a bunch of vintage Singers and I think I still like the older Bernina the best....

snipforfun 04-21-2013 04:49 PM

Machines and accessories are way overpriced!

Nammie to 7 04-21-2013 04:49 PM

I've been sewing on Berninas for years. You will love it. I just bought a second small Bernina to take to classes and retreats. These are wonderful machines and I don't think you will regret purchasing one. I had a White Serger many years ago - it didn't like me either!

Dolphyngyrl 04-21-2013 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 6017548)
Machines and accessories are way overpriced!

I agree way overpriced, they are just okay to me. I tried one in January in a class. I preferred my brothers and baby locks better. I like the feed better, accessories are cheaper, and they are way more user friendly. Also for the price of the Bernini it should have had way more features than it did

BellaBoo 04-21-2013 04:59 PM

I have Bernina 1260. I enjoy sewing with it because no tension problems, no thread problems, no bobbin problems. If you can get a Bernina for $200 you found a bargain.

patchsamkim 04-21-2013 05:02 PM

Is it a used Bernina, or a Bernette? If it is a Bernina, then it would be a good machine. If it is a Bernette, they are not made by Bernina, and I wouldn't recommend buying it...they are not easy to sew on, and not really made well.

Prism99 04-21-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by DannyValentine (Post 6017536)
Someone from my quilt guild donated a White machine to me. I hand quilt and piece but I wanted to learn on a machine. This machine does not like me and I don't like it. One of my LQS is a bernina store and there's a machine I'd like to get for a couple hundred bucks. It's a very basic machine and they would teach me how to use it when I bought it. I just wanted to get an opinion on whether or not Bernina's are a good buy.

A very basic new machine for a couple of hundred dollars is not a Bernina. The Bernette line is ***not*** the same as the Bernina line. For a couple of hundred dollars I would buy a machine from Walmart, as it is returnable if you do not like it. Bernettes are simply not the best-made of the low-end machines. The Brother brand is a better bet in this price range.

IrishNY 04-21-2013 05:12 PM

But you might want to talk to your LQS about how much a basic Bernina would cost you. I have several different types of machines, including 2 Berninas and nothing sews like a Bernina. You pay early for the quality but you get a top quality product that will last for many, many years with no problems.

Wanabee Quiltin 04-21-2013 05:18 PM

I have had my Bernini Aurora for 7 years now, bought it off eBay for half of what the LQS wanted. I have never had it in the shop ever and it sings to me, well, hums is a better word, I guess. I have never had a bad minute with her. I also own a Bernette and can't stand her! I hope you have good luck as I have had with my Bernina.