Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ???Best most affordable filling for pincushions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-most-affordable-filling-pincushions-t197805.html)

Julie in NM 08-16-2012 06:15 PM

???Best most affordable filling for pincushions

Want to have something with a little weight. I know about crushed walnut shells and kity litter. Making these for a quilter's meet and greet and one gal is from FL so don't want to use rice for mold issues. Could I use pinto beans? They're really hard hard hard.

lynnie 08-16-2012 06:25 PM

How about fish tank gravel inthe bttom and
Stuffing on top of that.

Challys 08-16-2012 06:28 PM

Sand is good and you can usually buy it at hardware stores.

earthwalker 08-16-2012 06:37 PM

I have also been seeking some answers...so thanks for posting. Walnut shells are expensive and a bit tricky to obtain here in Western Australia. I was hoping to buy some emery sand (like the strawberry pincusions have) but that's also been hard to source. My next step was to "The Bird and Fish Place" to see if they have any aquarium sand or gravel as Lynnie suggested. Will let you know how I go.

lynnie 08-16-2012 07:02 PM

Earthwalker... forthe walut ssells, try a petstore or reptile store.

earthwalker 08-16-2012 07:03 PM

Thanks Lynnie....the Bird and Fish place also does reptiles so I will check that out.

BellaBoo 08-16-2012 07:13 PM

Sand will leak through the fabric. Emery is what is in the strawberry on the pincushions, that's why some pincushions cost more then others. Old pincushions had sawdust packed solid in them. For weight I used a few glass marbles in the middle of poly stuffing. I read a post here to cut open old pincushions to find old sewing needles made years ago from the best quality steel. I had an old one I bought at a yard sale and it was full of needles inside! Strong sharp needles.

debbieumphress 08-16-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM (Post 5445566)
Want to have something with a little weight. I know about crushed walnut shells and kity litter. Making these for a quilter's meet and greet and one gal is from FL so don't want to use rice for mold issues. Could I use pinto beans? They're really hard hard hard.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh I bet I wasn't supposed to see this but....I can keep a secret.
I use walnut shells and batting depending on the pattern.
I would think pinto beans would work too.
I'm not making pin cushions so you are safe with me. LOL.
See ya in September.. Hugs

kaysue4 08-16-2012 08:12 PM

Now I have found a use for all of the walnut shells that the squirrels leave empty for me in the back yard! I guess I would just bang them down with a hammer, right? I am also taking the whole green walnuts and putting them in water to make walnut stain.

Tartan 08-16-2012 08:40 PM

I bought the sand that they use for doing the coloured layers in cactus gardens. I would also look into the sand they use for the wedding ceremony that the bride and groom pour into a container. I use a very tight weave inner fabric bag so the sand doesn't leak through. I have also used the polypropelene beads but it isn't as nice as the fine sand.