Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Press (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-press-t101632.html)

heartbuilt 02-21-2011 04:42 AM

This past weekend I bought Best Press at Hancock Fabrics as it was on "special" for $5.99. I had never used it before so I thought I'd give it a try. I must be doing something wrong because it didn't give any stiffness to the pieces I pressed with the iron. Or do you think that maybe I got a "dud" bottle?

ckcowl 02-21-2011 04:59 AM

i think 'best-press' is more of a sizing, which helps remove wrinkles, without adding stiffness;
if you want stiff/crispness added to your fabrics try some real 'starch' available in the grocery store laundry isle...for alot less than the $$ you spent in the lqs.

heartbuilt 02-21-2011 05:18 AM

OHHH! I am new to quilting (and pressing/ironing for that matter), so I thought it being a starch alternative that it would give me that crisp stiffness I was looking for. Am not happy I spent the $$ for the Best Press when I probably could have spent a buck and bought spray starch to do the trick. Live & learn huh? :)

MissSandra 02-21-2011 05:37 AM

I love best press, and it does stiffen what i have used on. not a heavy stiff but a desirable stiffness. in face i even sent some to my quilting friend.
Sandra

rismstress 02-21-2011 05:52 AM

I love it- when you iron dark fabrics, it doesn't leave the starchy flakes. Right now I'm out of it and have to get some more.
Cheryl

girlsfour 02-21-2011 05:57 AM

I love Best Press as well. It isn't stiff, but still keeps your fabric wrinkle free. Plus you don't get the white flakes on your fabric. It's really good to use if you are storing your fabric for a while. My husband uses it every day on his cotton button-down collar shirts.

But if you really do not care for it, return it to the store (you need your receipt) and get their Niagra starch that comes in an non-aersol bottle. That will give you the look you want and also has a nice scent (believe they have unscented too). It's much cheaper than the Best Press too. (Can you tell I work there?!)

patricej 02-21-2011 05:57 AM

if you use enough of it, Best Press will stiffen your fabs.

considering the price tag, though, i save it for finished projects only.

i use the cheap stuff when i want to "boardify" my fabs. :lol:

girlsfour 02-21-2011 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
if you use enough of it, Best Press will stiffen your fabs.

considering the price tag, though, i save it for finished projects only.

i use the cheap stuff when i want to "boardify" my fabs. :lol:

Like the word "boardify"!!!! Could I use that in Scrabble?

Central Ohio Quilter 02-21-2011 06:43 AM

I love Best Press especially to get out the fold line down the center of fabric. It works great for that.

scowlkat 02-21-2011 07:47 AM

I use Best Press to get stubborn wrinkles out but for stiffness, I use Faultless spray starch I get from Wal-Mart. They now have Faultless that has a lavender scent just like my favorite Best Press!